Could this forum survive if......

• Devo
  • 10-27-2022, 12:53 PM
Could this forum survive if it forced mandatory civil discussions?

One of the gun forums I am on, and its one of many hosted by the same people have started to enforce civil discussion in its sub forums, most specifically in the political ones.

It did not ban discussion of politics, but, what it did, was make it a pointable/bannable, if name calling, taunting, etc, was part of the conversation.

Examples are "Libtard", "FJB", etc, general name calling, and general incivility, or a reduction of hatred, if you will, to slow down the general hatred that is dividing not only our forums, but our country.

Lets be real, we are a hair close to a civil war, imho, its been brought about by the sheer hatred, violence, and division by the left, none of my conservative friends wake up and think supporting riots, burning businesses, government buildings is a good idea politically.

Nor did any of them start a bail fund for conservative protesters, AKA, the false "Insurrectionists".

But, back to the point, I personally have no issue sticking to the politics, minus the hatred and anger, is there anyone else who would rather see a debate about the facts, instead of the bullshit?

IF, the board won't do it, or enforce it, I'll make a suggestion we try to do it voluntarily.

Conservatives, which is what I am, not an R or a D, can we be better than the libs without resorting to the hate?

I'll wait for the rotten cabbages and tomatoes to be tossed at me, but, Its a serious question and topic.

Bluntly, I'm ready to walk away from the forum again, for good as I did last time, not sure how many years, but it was a while.

After a few weeks under the current rules on that gun forum, I'm finding I like the politics better without the hate.

And, one other point, if this doesn't happen, why is this forum even moderated at all?

Why even bother to enforce some rules of discipline, when it doesn't exist at all within our political discussions?

I guess race hatred isn't OK, so, why is hatred of someone because of your political affiliation tolerable.

Leave us alone, clean it up, or shut it down, that's where I'm at right now.
... You bring up a good point, mate.

But then-again it aint any surprise - your DEVO!

... The shitty name-callings and what-not surely become
irritating and bothersome after awhile. ... Not just
name-calling to one another, but the insults in-general
be them to Trump or Biden or their supporters.

And yet it goes on... Every bleedin' day. ...

... Come to mention, the onley points I ever receive on this site
are for what's considoured "thread hijacks" ... Not vulgar or
mean-spirited insults... Maybe the whole system needs to change.
The insults don't seem to draw points.

... But one thing's for certain - the current way we're ALL
doing things aint working.

... Any other thoughts??
Let's try to give them WITHOUT pointing fingers.

#### Salty
  • Devo
  • 10-27-2022, 05:32 PM
... You bring up a good point, mate.

But then-again it aint any surprise - your DEVO!

... The shitty name-callings and what-not surely become
irritating and bothersome after awhile. ... Not just
name-calling to one another, but the insults in-general
be them to Trump or Biden or their supporters.

And yet it goes on... Every bleedin' day. ...

... Come to mention, the onley points I ever receive on this site
are for what's considoured "thread hijacks" ... Not vulgar or
mean-spirited insults... Maybe the whole system needs to change.
The insults don't seem to draw points.

... But one thing's for certain - the current way we're ALL
doing things aint working.

... Any other thoughts??
Let's try to give them WITHOUT pointing fingers.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Of everyone, I assumed you'd have a positive response, not so sure of anyone else.
Wait, you can block this whole forum? Do tell!
Devo,
My thoughts on hyperpatisan rancor and the imbalance caused by a vocal minority are well known.

Your proposal is a step in the right direction and while we don't see fully eye-to-eye I consider us to be more closely aligned on these issues than you initially thought.

That said, I am sorry to see Salty on vacation again. I can confirm that I'm in zero danger of pointing out despite the hopes and dreams of some folks. I've never been in any danger of a points-based vacation.

It's not difficult to navigate that potential mine field.

But it's not just about toning down the rhetoric. It's about finding other shit to talk about that doesn't involve the politics and Hot buttons and just being civil.

Let's all admit we're assholes and instead of trying to pretend we're not assholes or that some other asshole is a worse asshole than we are, we just cut the bullshit and shoot the shit instead of shitting all over each other.

I'm HD. I drink. Smoke. Cook. Collect a wide variety of shit. And I'm here because I like to fuck hookers.

How's your goddamn day been?

Could this forum survive? Absolutely. Been waiting for these dots to connect for quite some tine
  • Devo
  • 11-04-2022, 01:18 PM
Devo,
My thoughts on hyperpatisan rancor and the imbalance caused by a vocal minority are well known.

Your proposal is a step in the right direction and while we don't see fully eye-to-eye I consider us to be more closely aligned on these issues than you initially thought.

That said, I am sorry to see Salty on vacation again. I can confirm that I'm in zero danger of pointing out despite the hopes and dreams of some folks. I've never been in any danger of a points-based vacation.

It's not difficult to navigate that potential mine field.

But it's not just about toning down the rhetoric. It's about finding other shit to talk about that doesn't involve the politics and Hot buttons and just being civil.

Let's all admit we're assholes and instead of trying to pretend we're not assholes or that some other asshole is a worse asshole than we are, we just cut the bullshit and shoot the shit instead of shitting all over each other.

I'm HD. I drink. Smoke. Cook. Collect a wide variety of shit. And I'm here because I like to fuck hookers.

How's your goddamn day been?

Could this forum survive? Absolutely. Been waiting for these dots to connect for quite some tine Originally Posted by HDGristle
Well, the run up to every election, Pres or otherwise has gotten to the point where each side had to outdo the other with fear.

I mean, saying the R's want to end social security and Medicare, I've heard that shit for decades, can't even find new bogey men to scare people.

Now, on the other side the R scare tactics are more based on what's actually happening to this country, crime, border, schools, fuel costs, etc.

But this years seems to be as bad as a presidential election in terms of overall angst.

I expect things to settle in 5 days, or, be in a civil war, one or the other........
The might of the US armed forces guarantees that no matter what happens there won’t be a civil war. Riots? Sure. Storming the Capital Building? Sure. But Civil war? Nope.
  • Devo
  • 11-04-2022, 03:50 PM
The might of the US armed forces guarantees that no matter what happens there won’t be a civil war. Riots? Sure. Storming the Capital Building? Sure. But Civil war? Nope. Originally Posted by AmishGangster
Just like they did last time huh?

The crazy thing is I have respect for everyone who's posted on this thread regardless of their political beliefs. I always enjoyed Salty's post and have no clue why/how he got banned but I hope he is back soon.
But it won't happen. Eccie is a business. the sell advertisement space, to make money. They don't want to muzzle their #1 poster.
That would not be good for business.
As for Salty, he did make a mention of getting points for not staying on subject. maybe that's why.
But if that was the case then. If the moderators are unbiased, how could any of the poster from "How many dates have to come and go?" Post" not be banned?
Just like they did last time huh?

Originally Posted by Devo
The last time was different for 2 main reasons. First time it was 2 governments at war not 1 government vs a bunch of random people from their moms basement, funding and organization matter. Secondly and more importantly the first time the same basic weapons and technology were available to everyone. I don’t care what you may have in your arsenal it doesn’t compare in any way what the US military has at its disposal. Bring all the AR-15s you want it won’t help this time.
This forum will survive, however It will remain an echo chamber
  • Devo
  • 11-06-2022, 12:40 PM
This forum will survive, however It will remain an echo chamber Originally Posted by Charley3
Will it?

I didn't like the ominous tone of the just closed banning thread.
Will it?

I didn't like the ominous tone of the just closed banning thread. Originally Posted by Devo
Will it survive? Probably

I thinck Bio may start swinging his shiny hammer around these parts. As a former mod you know that whiners who needlessly pound the triangle don’t make staff happy and unhappy staff do unhappy things.
Anyone could have seen that thread being closed though. It should never have been made. Devo, you were a mod once so you would be able to answer this question. What does a recently banned member have to gain by making a thread like that? A site admin actually posted twice in the thread and it still spiraled downhill. I was a bit at fault for it and am man enough to admit it but let's be honest here, the thread should never have even been made. It was a dig at the mods and they finally had enough and shut it down.

Will it?

I didn't like the ominous tone of the just closed banning thread. Originally Posted by Devo