American Airlines Elite Level

Based on the flights I have booked for the rest of the year, I am going to come up short of the 25,000 miles needed for Gold by about 400 miles. Two people told me when they came up this close, they called American to see if they would make them Gold anyway and in both cases they did. Does anyone know if that is always the case, or do you think I should book some cheap one day excursion just to make sure? I have be either Gold or Platinum for the last 13 years.
It depends on how long you have been Gold/Platinum. For someone with 10 plus years it would be stupid for them not to grant it. But Hilton did not grant me Diamond, I missed it by one stay. I was Diamond for over 10 consecutive years. American is not known for its stellar customer service.
I have gold for life due to the Million mile thingy. Due to many overseas trips, I keep platinum anyway.

In comparison to how it used to be on American (way back), these days it really doesn't get you much.
The fine, friendly folks at flyertalk.com might be able to help.
Agree on the diminishing value of AA awards program.... I fly every week - when they announce 1st class and exec plat status flyers to board the plane, it seems like 50% of the passengers queue up lol

What do you have to lose by calling them to inquire?
Book a quicky flight. Asking for the 500 miles will get you no where.

Go to www.aa.com/netsaaver

$158 round-trip from DFW to Wichita. If you fly 25,000 miles next year you will earn an extra 0.25x25,000=6250 miles=$87.5 (redeeming 25k miles for a $350 ticket, better return for international ticket). Add to that no bag fees. If you check bags both ways on 2 flights = 2x2x$25=$100. Already you have saved $187.50, which is more than $158 (plus whatever taxes) you paid for Gold. Plus you get the upgrade coupons (hard to use as Gold though). If you have to buy a Y class ticket, you get 1st class automatically. Plus board early, check in privilege.

Bottom line - the flight is worth it.
I have friends that spend the 3rd and 4th qtrs each year charting out the options they have to insure they re-qualify for AA exec plat status, including taking round-about routes, taking cheap non-prime time flights coast to coast, etc
I have an AAdvantage credit card and get one mile for every dollar I spend.
You could get one and put $400 on it in no time.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you actually have to fly the miles to have them qualify for upper-echelon status.
Fuck, I thought the bankruptcy killed all those programs...no?
CC miles don't count for elite status. Only flight miles.
Call and ask. They want you to fly on them. If that doesn't work, buy the cheap flight to get the miles. Many people do that at the end of the year. Push for it on the phone first. Be positive.
You can purchase extra miles and/or you can use an Aadvantage credit card to accumulate miles for rewards, but only miles flown on AA flights count for elite status. You can call but they aren't going to give you any flight miles.
Best way to get those last few... is to make a weekend trip or two. You have the rest of the year to do it. I did a round trip weekend to London a few years back to make exec..... I laugh at it now, but it did keep me current.

Honestly though, Gold doesn't get you much of anything. Ive been Exec for as long as I can remember and most times the free upgrades are worthless. The only thing really good about exe is the first boarding, check in luggage breaks and the system wide upgrades you get.

If you don't make it this year and are going to fly early in the year, simply call them and take a challenge. They have a gold/plantinum challenge you can do, its 10k or 15k last time I had to do it, in a 3 month period to get the status. It shortens the requirements.

Many credit cards will get you that same level though, plantinum cards etc will often come with gold status.

Also keep an eye on the advantage specials page. They often will have a multiplier deal running for certain routes or more general for periods of time. You can double miles or better during those times.

The overall value of these programs has gone in the crapper though.... i have enough 500 mile segments to get to the moon and back and they almost never come through. Certain routes will come through more often, but the popular routes you are better off using pure miles for upgrades.
Take a quick trip to make up the miles. Calling them and asking for the status isn't going to get you anywhere. They could care less. Their customer service is deplorable