Ricky Gervais Banned From Globes Hosting Duties?

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/17/r...1_lnk1%7C36888

I didn't get to see much of the Golden Globes but did see a few of the clips that people are talking about. I think he is very funny most of the time. Was he over the top enough to be banned from ever doing it again ? What do you guys think ?

http://www.popeater.com/2011/01/17/r...1_lnk1%7C36888

I didn't get to see much of the Golden Globes but did see a few of the clips that people are talking about. I think he is very funny most of the time. Was he over the top enough to be banned from ever doing it again ? What do you guys think ?

Originally Posted by coast_encounter
Basically, Hollywood (and entertainment in general) award shows are large gatherings where a bunch of pretentious people gather for several hours and symbolically give each other blowjobs and tell each other what fine people they are and what wonderful work they do. Does it really come as a surprise that pretentious celebrities, accustomed to being surrounded by a large entourage of ass-kissing yes men and cock-sucking (in the good sense) yes-women resent someone telling them that perhaps they aren't the wonderful people that they think themselves?

I have a feeling Ricky got tired of doing the show, and decided to go out with a huge bang, making sure he's never invited back. Perhaps he's hosed himself, but I have the feeling he doesn't really care.

From the cited article:
"Ricky blew it big time. It's one thing to make fun of celebrities but it's another to make them totally uncomfortable," an insider tells me.
Frankly, we're too much of a celebrity-worshiping culture as it is (if there really were a just and loving God who cares for us, people like Paris Hilton and the Kardashians would be poverty-stricken, total unknowns, rather than being untalented assholes who are famous merely for being famous). For Gawd's sake, these people need to be made uncomfortable for at least three to five hours every day (longer, if I have anything to say about it). It would do them--and us--some goddamn good.

Well-played, Ricky... well-played!

Cheers,

bcg
I think it was funny as hell.
Well said, BCG, in my opinion the current trend of the public's fascination with irresponsible individuals that contribute nothing to society is a national problem.
"Ashton Kutchers Dad" (Bruce Willis)

"You may know him from rehab and jail" (Robert Downey)

C'mon ....it's Ricky Gervais..they got exactly what they paid for. And it was funny as hell.
and the bottom line is who really cares
Not a great loss from my standpoint. Most of those folks are so self centered I can applaud anything they get. They need to wake up and spend a few hours a day in the real world.
I have a 'net friend who's a film/TV critic for an alternative newsweekly, and apropos Ricky's performance he wrote:
And speaking of loathsome, poor Ricky Gervais. I'm shocked, shocked the Hollywood Foreign Press Association picked a comedian whose stated purpose was to get himself fired from the hosting gig to emcee their ceremony, then got all pissed off when he did exactly what he said he was going to do.
Cheers,

bcg