Monger fitness

My doc gave me some news. I need to go lose some weight and am looking for a gym in pittsburgh which wont break the bank or isn’t overly saturated all the time. Anyone have any suggestions?
Not sure where you are located but Crunch has a couple different sites in AC. The waterfront is nice. Very clean and scenery quite nice at times.LA fitess is an option and some have swimming pools. Since I’m a geezer and have UPMC silver sneakers I don’t have any membership fees. The LA fitness in Monroeville isn’t as clean as crunch but also has a sauna. Except for the cost of good shoes it doesn’t cost you anything to walk. Lots of bike trails also. Good luck.
I have a membership at Planet Fitness, it's only around $20/month, and they are open 24/7 (at least, the location I go to, in Castle Shannon, is...).
Planet Fitness - Very low key, nobody there training for an Iron Man. Good place to start. One in Castle Shannon (as per laser face) very chill. Plus beer store across the street and McDee’s as well for a post workout recovery.
  • Knute
  • 06-06-2023, 12:31 PM
My doc gave me some news. I need to go lose some weight and am looking for a gym in pittsburgh which wont break the bank or isn’t overly saturated all the time. Anyone have any suggestions? Originally Posted by Loganstryfe
Question is too broad. The number one criteria is proximity to where you live or work. The second criteria is what kind of facility do you want. I like having free weights, machines, a pool, and a basketball court. I really have to workout a couple times before I can decide if I like the weightlifting equipment. Planet Fitness would not cut it for me.

The third criteria is how much you want to spend. I would check to see if there is a YMCA close to you.
Agree on proximity. If it’s not convenient, you won’t go long term. Planet Fitness is where I’d recommend but only if it’s the most convenient. Mix cardio with resistance exercises.
Gyms are a huge waste of time and money, IMO. There isn’t a muscle in the body you can’t work with simple body weight exercises. A weighted uphill run over poor terrain is is a better workout than you’ll ever get at planet fitness. A good pair of boots and a strong rucksack is all you need.
Gyms are a huge waste of time and money, IMO. There isn’t a muscle in the body you can’t work with simple body weight exercises. A weighted uphill run over poor terrain is is a better workout than you’ll ever get at planet fitness. A good pair of boots and a strong rucksack is all you need. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
I totally agree. In the past 4 years,I've lost 135lbs and I'm in my best shape since my college athlete days. I never joined a gym because I knew I wouldn't go. I work out at home with free weights, I ride my bicycle a lot and do brisk hikes on the trails around my house. Its difficult in the winter, but we actually have more good days than bad most winters. Of course the most important thing is to change your eating habits.
Holy shit, chizzy. Great work and very inspiring.
Holy shit, chizzy. Great work and very inspiring. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
I think you were referring to Stig? If you’re 65 you can qualify for the Silver Sneakers program at the JCCs. It’s free.
Planet isn't a bad idea. They're everywhere and cheap.
Gyms are a huge waste of time and money, IMO. There isn’t a muscle in the body you can’t work with simple body weight exercises. A weighted uphill run over poor terrain is is a better workout than you’ll ever get at planet fitness. A good pair of boots and a strong rucksack is all you need. Originally Posted by Jacuzzme
I need to do this for my next years elk hunt.
I think you were referring to Stig? Originally Posted by bambino
DOH! *facepalm*
You can get in shape by chasing a hoodrat for your deposit back.
135lb’s! Jesus Stig! That’s impressive.

Another good option is to look into “functional fitness” programs. Extremely effective at working cardio and strength at the same time. You can download “Beachbody” app - I think it’s about $100 per year but they have hundreds of guided programs you can do at home. I find them useful for no other reason than to keep me on time - otherwise I’ll just dilly dally and turn what should be a 40 minute routine into an hour plus. (I tend to waste a lot of time BS’ing at the gym. ). Good luck.