Free Love vs Internet

Would you trade in today's internet access of easy hook-up and information exchange for the 1970's Free Love? I have to admit I'm on the fence....
I think for me, I would go back to the free-wheeling 70's....The thrill of the hunt on the nightclub scene; it was a more carefree enviroment of have fun, get down tonight, boogie-on atmosphere.
It was a time of experimentation, no safety net so to speak, buy your ticket and take your chance kind of a lifestyle.
AIDS was unheard of; p4p prevalent in the big cities and Europe if you knew where to look; safety was a concern,yes, but not to the level of today.
It was a simpler time, not the instant gratification society we have turned into nowdays.
RWS, you have to remember, that many on the boards today were not born in the 50's and 60's; to have at least been a teenager by the mid 60's to late 70's. And if you didn't live it, it's just not the same.
Pre-AIDs was a whole different world, than today. Hooking up with multiple partners at the same venue on the same night was not uncommon. No commitment, no drama just enjoy the moment -open relationships.

I think for me, I would go back to the free-wheeling 70's....The thrill of the hunt on the nightclub scene; it was a more carefree enviroment of have fun, get down tonight, boogie-on atmosphere.
It was a time of experimentation, no safety net so to speak, buy your ticket and take your chance kind of a lifestyle.
AIDS was unheard of; p4p prevalent in the big cities and Europe if you knew where to look; safety was a concern,yes, but not to the level of today.
It was a simpler time, not the instant gratification society we have turned into nowdays. Originally Posted by runswithscissors
Wouldn’t it be nice to go back to a time when the prime function of a condom was to make water balloons?
I'm not old enough to "remember" the days of free love in the 70s, but I doubt there was very little difference to what happened in the clubs during the late 80s and 90s. Given the club scene (of any era) vs access provided by the internet, all I have to say is "thank you Al Gore" Hell, I wished we had the information on the net in the early 90s like we do today. I remember my early days of hobbying consisted of newspaper ads in the sports section and the yellow pages. Nowadays with the internet, I can find a provider of my choice, interact days in advance, and essentially have a date like meeting. Isn't the internet great?
  • PullT
  • 05-10-2010, 10:29 PM
It was a simpler time, not the instant gratification society we have turned into nowdays. Originally Posted by runswithscissors
I'll admit that I'm not old enough to remember the 70s...I was born mid-decade, but by all accounts I've come across, the 70s are the epitome of instant gratification.
I was a toddler then, and I can't imagine returning to life w/out the Internet today. Except, perhaps, for a chance to experience the 70s. Drugs, disco, free love, The Doors, pubic hair, skateboarding....man, I missed out on something epic!
Actually, being old enough to remember both, I think the late 60's were more associated with "free love," especially the summer of 1967 (also know as "The Summer of Love"). The early 70's to the very early '80's were a post sexual revolution, more open era than today, but not really free love. More the height of the 70's singles scene. Not so much free love, but serial hookups.

The use of the term "free love," however, does back hundreds of years and refers to those who rejected traditional marriage and monogamy.
Actually, being old enough to remember both, I think the late 60's were more associated with "free love," especially the summer of 1967 (also know as "The Summer of Love"). The early 70's to the very early '80's were a post sexual revolution, more open era than today, but not really free love. More the height of the 70's singles scene. Not so much free love, but serial hookups.

The use of the term "free love," however, does back hundreds of years and refers to those who rejected traditional marriage and monogamy. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
That's what I was thinking... Fond memories of '67 and '68...we're showing our age, THH.

H
There is no such thing as free love/free sex. There is always a cost.