Changes in Red Light District

Funny how the image of Amsterdam was drugs and sex.

Now they want to change that image and bring in the tourist crowd.

Tourist love to explore places that were built on the sex trade and then when it goes tourist the locals complain about the tourist.

The EU crowd hates Americans now more than ever so i'll travel to Central America and Asia.
A lot more has changed...for the worse...in Amsterdam, over many decades.

I used to hangout there in the 70's...sex, drugs and rock'n roll were all legal or semi-legal, but everyone kept in on the downlow and it was cool....classy...with a touch of danger.

On my last visit...about 10 years ago...the once beautiful, Midieval city looked like freakin' Mexico...junk everywhere...t-shirt shops with pot-leaf trinkets...and sex worker souvenirs.

...fat tourists in cargo shorts and NE Patriot jerseys...not quite the adult playground vibe at all.
I thought that Hamburg, Germany was way more authentic Red Light District than Amsterdam's. Amsterdam's was always touristy. Hamburg was real.
I thought that Hamburg, Germany was way more authentic Red Light District than Amsterdam's. Amsterdam's was always touristy. Hamburg was real. Originally Posted by cinderbella
Ditto...I've got some really good Reeperbahn stories...and a tattoo.
A lot more has changed...for the worse...in Amsterdam, over many decades.

I used to hangout there in the 70's...sex, drugs and rock'n roll were all legal or semi-legal, but everyone kept in on the downlow and it was cool....classy...with a touch of danger.

On my last visit...about 10 years ago...the once beautiful, Midieval city looked like freakin' Mexico...junk everywhere...t-shirt shops with pot-leaf trinkets...and sex worker souvenirs.

...fat tourists in cargo shorts and NE Patriot jerseys...not quite the adult playground vibe at all. Originally Posted by DownForWhatever
I’ve only been in and out for a few quick one day museum visits in the last twenty years or so. But even in the 1980’s Amsterdam, especially the central core, has been going down hill to my eye. Other than the great museums, and a nice Rijsttafel before catching the train back to Paris, it’s not a city I ever consider visiting.