Sciatica

I have a ruptured disk at L5 S1 puts me in a lot of pain. Anyone know how to relieve the pain?
I have a ruptured disk at L5 S1 puts me in a lot of pain. Anyone know how to relieve the pain? Originally Posted by The Nasty Man
Probably see a Dr...

Inversion table.
You need an activity that will release endorphins. That helps me anyway. Wondering what activities can be found on this board that would allow the body to release it's own natural endorphins. Hmmm, let me think......
The new Lazer clinic in okc, ok does a wonderful job. They do all the top golfers. I had mine done at the ok spinal hospital, also quality work. See dr. Horton.
Sciatic nerve pain can be temporarily alleviated by stretching the piriformis muscle, which gets inflamed and spasms, and aggravates that sciatic nerve. To stretch it, sit in a chair with both feet flat on the floor. Then, take the affected leg and place that ankle on top of the knee of the other leg. Then hold the shin of the affected leg and lean forward while gently pulling on the shin to stretch the piriformis muscle (a muscle that runs through your butt and close to the sciatic nerve).

This will help but it's only temporary. Consult either an orthopedic surgeon or a neurosurgeon about some of the minimally invasive techniques available. Good luck.
The typical protocol for your condition is:

First, bed rest, pain meds and anti-inflammatories, and interchanging hot and cold packs.
if that doesn't help after several weeks, then:

Second, epidural injections. Usually a series of three over 3 weeks. If that doesn't help, then:

Third, surgery to remove the thecal (disc) material between the vertebrae that may be impinging upon the nerve root, and/or a laminectomy (removal of the vertebra) and/or fusion with a cage or bracket.
Thanks for the advice