Driving from Fort Worth to Carlsbad...

Does anyone know of any sites/attractions between here and there? I'll be headed straight West on I-20. I know it is flat and boring but I'm hoping for suggestions in between…Thanks in advance!
Carlsbad, NM or CA?
Depending on when you are going, there is the big balloon festival In Albuquerque NM.
Looks like it is in the first full week of October this year.
New Mexico…I have things planned once I get there…just looking for things to make the drive more interesting.

Thanks for the replies!
I can tell you some great places to eat in El Paso if you are planning a stop there.

L&J's by the graveyard is my personal favorite. If you will be there late go up the mountain to the overlook. Great view of both El Paso and Ciudad Juarez.
Thanks Boltfan! The actual route isn't confirmed yet…waiting to see what appeals to me the most site-wise.

I appreciate the suggestions!
If you are going to Carlsbad, NM then just head down I-20 and turn right at Pecos. There is really nothing out there. I know, I grew up out there. There is a show on PBS on Sat mornings down by a guy in Austin called The Daytripper. He has done some pretty good stuff. You can check out past episodes at http://www.thedaytripper.com It might give you some ideas for places like Abilene, etc. It had a good show on Monahans too.

Btw, if you do get out by El Paso...there is a great steakhouse in Fabens, Tx called Cattleman's Steakhouse.......real original name.....lol but it is consistently ranked as one of the top 5 steakhouses in the US........by eastern news papers and magazines, not just Texas Monthly.......lol
Oohh yes Papa is right. Cattleman's is a landmark.
Monahans Sand Dunes, if you go that way. Not much to see, but it was all I remember other than scrub dessert and jack rabbits when I rode in the back seat from Carlsbad to Dallas, decades ago.

It was on that trip that I learned just how true the old travelers' rhyme that everybody learned in elementary school was:

The sun has riz'
And the sun has set,
And here we is
In Texas yet!!
LOL! @

"The sun has riz'
And the sun has set,
And here we is
In Texas yet!!"

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am considering going to Marfa to see the lights OR going through Lubbock just because.

I appreciate all who took time to respond!
This is in Midland, nice for a walk around and stretch:

http://www.airpowermuseum.org/
Thank you!

This is in Midland, nice for a walk around and stretch:

http://www.airpowermuseum.org/ Originally Posted by Iaintliein
Going through Lubbock won't add much other than time. Ruidoso is nice if you go that way. My favorite getaway when I lived in Lubbock was Inn of the Mountain Gods just outside Ruidoso .
Valid point Boltfan. No specific time schedule so who knows where we will end up?!
Unless you like Buddy Holly. Then Lubbock is gold for you