Craigslist serial killer in NY

It doesn't get any worse than this:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/04/04/...ex.html?hpt=T1

Since I used to live in NY and know the Gilgo Beach area, I have been following this story for a few months.

Late last year or early this year, NY police found the bodies of 4 prostitutes while looking for a 5th woman. All 5 advertised on Craigslist. However, the snow was so heavy this winter, they had to stop searching until all the snow melted.

They recently resumed the search and found 4 more bodies - but still haven't found the woman they were originally looking for. So the body count may rise.

No particular point to make, but the next time you read that Craigslist or some other website is being pressured by LE to crack down on sex-related ads, you might want to pause before posting a rant about censorship.

I generally think there should be a hands-off policy toward ads for the hobby, but things like this make me reconsider. Legalizing the hobby might help, but it might still be necessary to restrict advertisements.
I hear what you're saying. I really do. I can't stand to read shit like this. These psycho bas*ards need to be dealt with in the worst way. That said, murder BY ITSELF is a crime. Just because some psycho ties it to Craiglist doesn't mean the sex industry should have to shoulder guilt over it. I guess the question is, how do you pick out a psycho before you know he's a psycho? If he was that determined to kill, he could've picked anybody. CL just looked like an easy out. At the same time, Bundy and Dahmer didn't use Craigslist, so it's unfair to say Craigslist is a pool for serial killers.
Bundy and Dahmer would have used Craigslist as they were both very opportunistic. They were before its time.
I read the book about Phillip Markoff - 7 Days of Rage and to your point Rambro, how do you pick a guy like him out? He was a Med student, engaged, came from a good family. He was one strange dual personality.
All those type ads are a target rich environment for psychos or even worse, sociopaths. Sociopaths are much more dangerous. A psycho is relatively easy to spot. The sociopath is capable of doing the same attrocities but can just blend right into society, go back to work or school the next day like nothing happened.
Bundy and Dahmer would have used Craigslist as they were both very opportunistic. They were before its time.
I read the book about Phillip Markoff - 7 Days of Rage and to your point Rambro, how do you pick a guy like him out? He was a Med student, engaged, came from a good family. He was one strange dual personality.
All those type ads are a target rich environment for psychos or even worse, sociopaths. Sociopaths are much more dangerous. A psycho is relatively easy to spot. The sociopath is capable of doing the same attrocities but can just blend right into society, go back to work or school the next day like nothing happened. Originally Posted by TheWanderer

That is so scary and that is why screening can be a pain in the ass and well worth it.