Is This Legal?

My friend was working for a company who has horrible safety conditions, loaded weapon on the premises, and the owner of the company pays her spouse for work he's not even doing. And then paid my friend under the table. I personally think she was paying her husband (for work he wasn't even doing) just so the money would come back to her and her household. She let go of my friend because he didn't want to work there anymore because it was only supposed to be a few more days they wanted him to work and he didn't like how they worked. He was a temp. Now she said that she intended on letting him stay a few more weeks and THEN posts on Facebook that "some adults don't have work ethic". Because he got fed up with their business. She has several FB postings of bashing people who work for her. And talks about all the drama at her company. It is completely unprofessional. My friend wants to call the safety code people and the IRS on the company. Would they even do anything?
If any of it can be proven, yes it can be prosecuted. Will it be, who knows.

Safety is serious, and all complaints are investigated, so that is something to follow up on.

As for the loaded weapon, not a crime (at least in my state). Private property, even a business, can have loaded weapons if there are no local laws against it.
.....way too much drama
Just let it go....it's not worth the trouble. Quit and move on
OSHA (Unsafe working conditions), IRS (Just because) and TEC (Texas Employment Commission). If he does want to get involved.
Maybe your friend can get them shut down and the owner in jail and all of the employees on welfare. That'll show 'em.
Putting your spouse on the payroll isn't against the law. It's there business, they can pay whoever they want. (Assuming it's not a Corporation with shareholders and it's just a little mom and pop spot)
I don't think he's going to do anything. He's taking it as a lesson learned. It's a horrible company. But karma is a bitch.
+1 with you Dennis!

Maybe your friend can get them shut down and the owner in jail and all of the employees on welfare. That'll show 'em.
Yeah...that ought to show em', alright! (lol)
let it GOsounds like high school drama and fb suks. temps will keep one on till last min. then fire so not to pay benefits . or google dirty tricks or get even.
Maybe your friend can get them shut down and the owner in jail and all of the employees on welfare. That'll show 'em. Originally Posted by MisterB
Oh Lord. They have like 3 employees. It's not a huge company. And I highly doubt they'd get put in jail. They'd probably get a warning for the safety issues. But thanks for the smartass response. It's perfectly ok to let companies screw people over right? He's not going to do shit but Karma will get them in the ass. You don't screw people over and expect them to lie down and take it. People like that need to learn a lesson. Screwing over people and hurting people is NOT acceptable.
I've worked for a company that did that (minus the weapons) the wife was on the payroll and seemed to have no trouble bragging about her spending habits while the paychecks bounced. Eventually, they lost contracts, their standing in the community, and were audited and heavily fined. The employees moved on, and the couple eventually lost the business, sold their building, worked out of their garage again till they themselves passed on.
  • Mokoa
  • 11-03-2012, 01:21 PM
Closed as requested.