New York City has a drone problem. Already. Heh.

Looks like the future is already here:

http://betabeat.com/2013/06/game-of-...hicle-problem/

At least in the Big Apple.

Key quote:

------------------------
"But even nonmilitary drones can pose a threat, the city would soon learn. Last March, an Alitalia pilot claimed to have seen a three-foot-wide drone buzzing within 200 feet of his Boeing 777 while on approach to JFK Airport. At the time, the FBI reported that the unidentified device had been flying 1,750 feet over a densely populated neighborhood and could have caused a calamitous midair collision. The operator was never located."
------------------------

Imagine a plane load of people dying because of some assholes toy.
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 02:06 PM
Looks like the future is already here:

http://betabeat.com/2013/06/game-of-...hicle-problem/

At least in the Big Apple.

Key quote:

------------------------
"But even nonmilitary drones can pose a threat, the city would soon learn. Last March, an Alitalia pilot claimed to have seen a three-foot-wide drone buzzing within 200 feet of his Boeing 777 while on approach to JFK Airport. At the time, the FBI reported that the unidentified device had been flying 1,750 feet over a densely populated neighborhood and could have caused a calamitous midair collision. The operator was never located."
------------------------

Imagine a plane load of people dying because of some assholes toy. Originally Posted by ExNYer
imagine COF having a stroke when he decides his neighbor might have one ... or two

They are only there to protect us. We should all be very proud of our government for such noble deeds. Besides, they give us free shit in exchange for our privacy.

Now if they start busting hookers and johns with them, then I'm going to be very fucking pissed!
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 03:31 PM
They are only there to protect us. We should all be very proud of our government for such noble deeds. Besides, they give us free shit in exchange for our privacy.

Now if they start busting hookers and johns with them, then I'm going to be very fucking pissed! Originally Posted by nwarounder

what government? the drones in the article are civilian owned and operated ... small little detail I know
what government? the drones in the article are civilian owned and operated ... small little detail I know Originally Posted by CJ7
"At the time, the FBI reported an unidentified...The operator was never located."

Of course it wasn't the government, so says the FBI, and we all know the government would never lie or spy on us. My bad, just going off on a conspiracy theory rant there for a sec.
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 05:29 PM
"At the time, the FBI reported an unidentified...The operator was never located."

Of course it wasn't the government, so says the FBI, and we all know the government would never lie or spy on us. My bad, just going off on a conspiracy theory rant there for a sec. Originally Posted by nwarounder

think the government would operate a drone that high and that close to an airport?
think the government would operate a drone that high and that close to an airport? Originally Posted by CJ7
Think they would crash one in Iran? I'll just say I don't give them the benefit of the doubt of being FBIntelligent as you do.
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 05:53 PM
thought I'd ask ... I don't see the FBI, intelligent or not, putting so many people both on the ground and in the air in such danger ... sounds more like a clueless civilian with his head up his ass playing with his toy
Think they would crash one in Iran? I'll just say I don't give them the benefit of the doubt of being FBIntelligent as you do. Originally Posted by nwarounder
"They" didn't crash one in Iran. The iranians did. The drone we lost was GPS guided. The Iranians jammed the GPS frequencies near it and it "FIT" (flew into terrain).

thought I'd ask ... I don't see the FBI, intelligent or not, putting so many people both on the ground and in the air in such danger ... sounds more like a clueless civilian with his head up his ass playing with his toy Originally Posted by CJ7
Yeah, it was a small 3 foot drone. Definitely some clueless amateur playing with his new toy.
I'm not disputing this incident or the article. But you two do realize FBI Mueller admitted last week they are, and have already used drones in the U.S. to spy on us, right?

I was playing off that a bit, if you couldn't tell...
  • CJ7
  • 06-26-2013, 06:44 PM
"They" didn't crash one in Iran. The iranians did. The drone we lost was GPS guided. The Iranians jammed the GPS frequencies near it and it "FIT" (flew into terrain).

Yeah, it was a small 3 foot drone. Definitely some clueless amateur playing with his new toy. Originally Posted by ExNYer

bottom of the page

http://www.civilianuav.com/#!aircraft/c10my

and heres a little civilian drone anyone can buy

http://www.civilianuav.com/#!sweeper-t4/c1gni
Did that drone tracking JD get lost?
Did that drone tracking JD get lost? Originally Posted by BigLouie
Oh, if we could only be so fortunate!
Do you think it is funny that a drone was flying around near dusk while a police helicopter was overhead numerous times? Tell me how much fun it would be if a helicopter and drone dropped into a crowd of several hundred people? Go on, tell me how fun that would be?

For those of you who missed it or have dementia; I was at the open air theater called Starlight here in KCMO and several of us spotted a drone hovering around behind and overhead. Police helicopters are a normal sight as the area outside the theater and zoo is considered a high crime area.
didn't you call someone to confirm also that ...yes, there was a drone over Starlight and yes, it was for photo purposes (and tracking your every move) ...so i'm sure the police helicopter knew about the drone.