http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...asts-NOSE.html

The photographer's website is here, but it appears to be down:

http://www.trackerbaz.com/
Wow. Very interesting.

We often think of the great white shark as the ocean's "apex predator."

Not quite!

Check this short video from National Geographic TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uBFUumm3Dk

(With reference to the IRS metaphor in the opening post, would anyone like to see it (or at the very least its current "leadership") meet such a fate?)
  • CJ7
  • 10-09-2013, 11:58 AM
predators miss more than they hit
  • CJ7
  • 10-09-2013, 12:26 PM

makes you want to put on a black wet suit, a pair of black swim fins and go for a dip doesn't it ?
makes you want to put on a black wet suit, a pair of black swim fins and go for a dip doesn't it ? Originally Posted by CJ7
If I ever end up in South Africa on a vacation, you can bet your last dollar I will never dip even a toe in the ocean.
  • CJ7
  • 10-09-2013, 01:00 PM
If I ever end up in South Africa on a vacation, you can bet your last dollar I will never dip even a toe in the ocean. Originally Posted by ExNYer
no need to go to So Africa, theres some animals in the Gulf that will make you pause ... watched a 12 foot Hammerhead cruise past the chumbag 5 miles offshore Port Aransas, Marathon Florida? Me no swimmie there either..
makes you want to put on a black wet suit, a pair of black swim fins and go for a dip doesn't it ? Originally Posted by CJ7
Uh, yeah. No problem. In a freshwater lake!

Years ago, a scuba diving friend told me that most big sharks actually don't like humans as prey, since we're bony and not blubbery compared to seals. But that's little consolation if a big shark takes off one or both of your legs before it figures out that it made a poor decision, and you soon bleed to death.

I've also heard that most attacks on surfers result from mistaken identity. Sharks have poor eyesight, and a surfboard can look like a big seal to one swimming below the surface. In a number of instances, they have bitten into a surfboard and then swum away, perhaps in a rather confused state.
  • CJ7
  • 10-09-2013, 01:10 PM
Uh, yeah. No problem. In a freshwater lake!

Years ago, a scuba diving friend told me that most big sharks actually don't like humans as prey, since we're bony and not blubbery compared to seals. But that's little consolation if a big shark takes off one or both of your legs before it figures out that it made a poor decision, and you soon bleed to death.

I've also heard that most attacks on surfers result from mistaken identity. Sharks have poor eyesight, and a surfboard can look like a big seal to one swimming below the surface. In a number of instances, they have bitten into a surfboard and then swum away, perhaps in a rather confused state. Originally Posted by CaptainMidnight
If I ever end up in South Africa on a vacation, you can bet your last dollar I will never dip even a toe in the ocean. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Amen to that. The shark miscalculated by 6 inches or so. That's the only reason that cute little critter didn't end up in the shark's gullett. Cool photos.
no need to go to So Africa, theres some animals in the Gulf that will make you pause ... watched a 12 foot Hammerhead cruise past the chumbag 5 miles offshore Port Aransas, Marathon Florida? Me no swimmie there either.. Originally Posted by CJ7
True, but there is something strange about the waters off South Africa. They seem to have a BIG great white population - more so than even Australia.

That photographer wasn't there by mistake. I have seen documentaries about that particular patch of ocean.

Until recently, it was assumed that great white sharks rarely or never breached the water. By that I don't mean sticking the nose above the surface. I mean jumping completely clear of the water. There are some instances of smaller mako sharks jumping clear of the water while chasing prey, but not great whites.

Until photographers found that patch of water off the coast of South Africa. If I remember correctly, there is an area where seals move from an island to the mainland through a stretch of a few miles of water. It is an annual migration thing and it is a complete bloodbath. The great whites know the seals are coming and they wait. And they will hit ANYTHING in the water once they get frenzied. So if you fall out of your boat taking pictures, you're toast.
  • CJ7
  • 10-09-2013, 04:00 PM
True, but there is something strange about the waters off South Africa. They seem to have a BIG great white population - more so than even Australia.

That photographer wasn't there by mistake. I have seen documentaries about that particular patch of ocean.

Until recently, it was assumed that great white sharks rarely or never breached the water. By that I don't mean sticking the nose above the surface. I mean jumping completely clear of the water. There are some instances of smaller mako sharks jumping clear of the water while chasing prey, but not great whites.

Until photographers found that patch of water off the coast of South Africa. If I remember correctly, there is an area where seals move from an island to the mainland through a stretch of a few miles of water. It is an annual migration thing and it is a complete bloodbath. The great whites know the seals are coming and they wait. And they will hit ANYTHING in the water once they get frenzied. So if you fall out of your boat taking pictures, you're toast. Originally Posted by ExNYer

Seal Island ... I;ve seen most of the docs too ... including the ones with free divers taking underwater pics of the Great Whites up close and waaaaaaaaaaay to personal for sane people

riiiiiiiiiiiiiight .. I'll be there in a minute
The photographer's cite is up and working again.

As they say in the 82nd: AIRBORNE!!

UPSIDE DOWN, TOO: