Job Discipline

I'm a manager on my job and maybe with me being a mgr for so long I've lost sight of things. I tend to think that most employees KNOW they're screwing up and shouldn't be caught off guard when finally disciplined for it. I've been written up before and of course I knew I was royally screwin' up but was stilled pissed that my boss would do his job and call me to the carpet on it.

This morning I had to discipline a female employee. I had already given her a verbal warning about a month ago and she was still screwing up. I bring her in today for a write up and this chick gets really emotional! She's crying, telling me that I'm attacking her personally, I haven't spent time with her on her duties. WTF?

So, my question is...if you've had to discipline or had discipline handed down to you why is the shock value so high?
I too am a manager and the SHOCK value is soooooo high because it benefits the employee and they are building a case for a non-supportive manager... thanks to to the ACLU, Lawyers and the like.
@DR, it was crazy!

She was basically pointing fingers @ everyone but herself. She thought it was a personal attack but I pointed out to her that it was all busines, never personal. She's been on the job for 17 yrs so she's figured out how to cut corners. I've only been there for 6 months. But I've already found out who the weak links on my team are and she's one of them. This write-up was just a way of telling her to shit or get off the pot.
I'm sure you're being extra cautious; do not for a second imagine you're being paranoid. She will creep on you when given any opportunity, real or imagined. I've had a shitload of employees and was terrified of all of them. There are employers who are renowned for being good to their hirelings, but even then you're going to be under the frontsight of at least some of them, figuratively anyway. Just ask Mattress Mack.
Why should this surprise you? We live in a culture where few people take personal responsibility for their actions and most think that they are entitled to avoid the consequences of their conduct. It's always someone else's fault. Plaintiff's personal injury lawyers, unions and liberals reinforce this culture. It's how they maintain their existence. Victimology 101. Let someone else pay for their food, medical care. If they burn their mouth because the coffee is hot, sue McDonalds. If the unions drive the auto companies into insolvency, get the government to steal the ownership of the companies from the shareholders and give to the unions, so that they do not bear the consequences of their fault in wrecking the company.

Cover your ass, when it comes to the female employee. If your company has an HR department, make sure you've papered the file and complied with all personnel policies. Make sure someone higher up on the food chain knows of and approves your actions beforehand. If your company is small, or if you are the boss, consult an employment lawyer.
Cover your ass, when it comes to the female employee. If your company has an HR department, make sure you've papered the file and complied with all personnel policies. Make sure someone higher up on the food chain knows of and approves your actions beforehand. If your company is small, or if you are the boss, consult an employment lawyer. Originally Posted by Toolman
Emphasis on ... "Cover your ass ... make sure you've papered the file and complied with all personnel policies."
The way the process works at my company you can't help but to cover your ass. When I do a write-up it has to go to my boss for him to review it. Once he reviews it his boss reviews it. After my boss's boss reviews it, it goes to HR for review. Once HR reviews and approves then it's sent back to me to present to the employee. So, there's lots of checks and balances to ensure that all is good.
sounds like my place.
The way the process works at my company you can't help but to cover your ass. When I do a write-up it has to go to my boss for him to review it. Once he reviews it his boss reviews it. After my boss's boss reviews it, it goes to HR for review. Once HR reviews and approves then it's sent back to me to present to the employee. So, there's lots of checks and balances to ensure that all is good. Originally Posted by IceCreamMan
Sounds like a great way to cover your ass.....Always get a bucket list......get someone else in the bucket with you, so when things go down you aren't alone. I am sure you will be fine. You have to leave your emotions at the door and not be affected by such displays. It's strictly business!
Sounds like a great way to cover your ass.....Always get a bucket list......get someone else in the bucket with you, so when things go down you aren't alone. Originally Posted by SOULMANIKE
That sounds automatic if you work for MegaCorp or Government. But if you own a small business the only time you got a friend is payday, after you've gone down to the bank to beg for a loan to use to pay the employees. Hell, a small business owner don't need to eat.

And if you have to fire one? Hell, you better hope and pray his/her demographic is not a federally protected one. You fire one of them, no matter how friggin' useless they have been, you are in for a ration of hell. Is it worth it? Hell Naw. Not any more.
  • Jkris
  • 07-25-2010, 11:01 AM
So im guessing everyone here has a CAREER of some sort, a job that you must have a degree to be apart of?
Im just trying to get a feel for what the board members do, not tryin to hijack the thread.
Not EVERYONE has a career. Well, at least not me. When I worked as a foreman I had direct hiring and firing responsibilities. The actual work was physically strenuous. If a guy or gal COULD do it, they were fine. If they couldn't do it they weeded out themselves. Still, firing someone took a toll on me.
Im just trying to get a feel for what the board members do, ... Originally Posted by Jkris
1. Determine a desire to hire someone.
2. Review qualifications of prospects based on resumes and recommendations.
3. Contact the applicant for an interview.
4. Interview the applicant if the applicant is interested.
5. Meet the applicant.
6. Determine if the applicant is as represented in resume/recommendations.
7. Hire the applicant or not hire the applicant.

Some make a "career" of it, others do it as a hobby.