Movie Bucket List

Have you ever made a movie reference to someone 10+ years your junior only to get a blank stare? I mean a movie reference to a TRULY FANTASTIC movie and they've never heard of it?

No? Well I have and it's put me on a mission. To create a list of older and/or lesser known and/or forgotten movies that everyone needs to watch, or watch again, before you die.

I'm a big movie fan and I can come up with about 50 movies no problem but I'm looking for great finds I haven't seen or perhaps forgotten so I'll start with three of my favorites.

Tobor's Movie Bucket List

1) The Man Who Would Be King
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073341/
Michael Caine and Sean Connery in their prime!

2) Lawrence of Arabia
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056172/
Peter O'Toole's big break movie. Don't even think about watching this on anything but a widescreen.

3) Freebie and the Bean
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071521/
Alan Arkin and James Caan. The prototype Cop/Buddy movie.
I love the old movies that I watched in high school. I watched The Long Ships mutiple times.
I love the old movies that I watched in high school. I watched The Long Ships mutiple times. Originally Posted by Timk48
Tim-

This one?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057259/

I've never even heard of it. I will rent/stream/buy/timeshift this movie. Thank you.
My must-watch list doesn't go back that far, only about 15 years or so, but I'm surprised more people haven't seen these movies.

True Romance -- This is the script Tarantino sold to fund Reservoir Dogs, possibly the better of the two.

Killing Zoe -- Video store co-employee of Tarantino's, Roger Avary collaborated with him on many of their early scripts, including this one.

Big Night -- Don't watch it hungry.

Pi -- Aronofsky's "coming out" film, he would go on to direct "The Wrestler"
Gone with the Wind - This was the measuring stick by which all other movies were judged for decades.

The original King Kong - They don't do special effects like that anymore.

The Shootist - The Biography of The Duke's life and death. A true American Hero.

Pulp Fiction - There are just way too many good lines.
El Topo
Tobor - Yes, that's the one. I bought it recently.

There were a whole bunch of war movies that came out in the late 60's - early 70's that I liked also. I bought a bunch of them.
"The Cook, the Thief, His Wife, and Her Lover", starred Helen Mirren as the wife. So good, I had to see it twice.

LS
Tobor agree with your list... would add
Magnificent Seven / 7 Samuari
1-2 Spagetti Western's
Bob Hope on the Road picts.
even some of the Dean Martin Roast that are on TV all they time.
The year after my 18 year marriage dissolved I spent catching up on all the Academy Best Pictures from like 1930 and the IMDB top 250. Must have had 25-30 Netflix transactions a month. It was 2004.

The two movies I'd have to recommend are:
Seven Samuri and The Best Years Of Our Lives

The 'Best Years Of Our Lives' should be required viewing for every American woman. It traces three WWII US servicemen return to 'normal' civilian life after the war and actually exposes how men actually think and feel, not some Oprah/Cosmo/Lifetime channel BS. It will also give you some insight on how your father or grandfather behaves the way they do.

Both movies are B/W. 7 Samuri is very long.

A movie you can leave off your bucket list is "The English Patient."
'Best Years Of Our Lives' is an incredible movie.
Seven Samurai is a great film but make sure you have 3 distraction free hours.
"Magnificent Seven" had a great cast and was a respectable remake.
Along those same lines I really liked "The Last Samurai" even if Tom Cruise is a dipshit.
"Shawshank Redemption" and "Stand By Me" are both Stephen King stories that deal with friendship and loyalty in a non-chick flick sort of way.
Stephen King once had a way of taking you back to your boyhood and making you remember what was important to you and what scared you then. A great storyteller.
Stephen King once had a way of taking you back to your boyhood and making you remember what was important to you and what scared you then. A great storyteller. Originally Posted by boardman
And then I read "Under The Dome" and realized he's a fucking commie.
The car accident changed him. I haven't read "Under the Dome" so I can't comment on it or any of his recent works or his politics. I read everything he wrote up to "Bag of Bones" including the original four or five of the "Dark Tower" series and of course "The Green Mile". I must have been about 14 when I read "Salem's Lot". It scared the hell out of me. I could go on about his early works but this is about movies.
The Blue Max
How to murder your wife
It's a mad mad mad mad world
The longest day
Dr Zhivago
The Dirty Dozen
Von Ryan's Express
After the Fox
The Secret of Santa Vittoria
The Hands of a Fisherman
The Old Man and the Sea
If it's Tuesday this must be Belgium