Blad, as a BAMA fan, how do you feel about...

Private school CFB players being allowed to unionize? Will that allow other schools to compete by raising their pay scale to match BAMA's, or am I confusing them with those high rolling cheaters from Auburn?
Private school CFB players being allowed to unionize? Will that allow other schools to compete by raising their pay scale to match BAMA's, or am I confusing them with those high rolling cheaters from Auburn? Originally Posted by Rockydoc
Ehh..

I can attest to college players being paid even back to when I played. How it is now is a joke. The schools make millions off of the kids and they get a small stipend to cover a burger and fries a month basically.

I say if a players likeness is used for profit then the kid should get at least a 20% cut.
Ehh..

I can attest to college players being paid even back to when I played. How it is now is a joke. The schools make millions off of the kids and they get a small stipend to cover a burger and fries a month basically.

I say if a players likeness is used for profit then the kid should get at least a 20% cut. Originally Posted by bladtinzu
But if they use all the money paying he players, how will they ever fund the women's water polo team?

If they unionize, I wonder if the players, or even the college athletic departments have to start paying taxes, since it is, in reality, a big money making business, at least for the big schools.

I love college football, but I am no fan of the NCAA. They will have a difficult few years with all the suits and rulings. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.
Just tell them if we pay you, we expect you to actually go to class and earn your grades and half of them will back down immediately.
Once you present it to the players, you tell them that the amount of what their scholarship is worth will count against them as income, plus the money they earn, and it becomes taxable. So if you go to a prestigious school, you won't be able to afford the taxes.

I hate to see college athletics have to resort to dealing with this crap. Just keep it the old fashioned way and pay them under the table and keep college football from imploding. Smaller schools won't be able to afford to keep any of their programs going without football footing the bills. The sense of entitlement here is astounding.
I remember a few years back when Rice University was asked by alumni to offer special classes and curriculum of a special nature so Rice could compete better in athletics, especially football.

The regents said Rice does not have special classes and never will. They did say they could give up football if it made the alumni too unhappy.

Rice students once elected a boy as homecoming queen and then a year later elected a refrigerator queen.

Point is Rice is a college first.
But if they use all the money paying he players, how will they ever fund the women's water polo team?

If they unionize, I wonder if the players, or even the college athletic departments have to start paying taxes, since it is, in reality, a big money making business, at least for the big schools.

I love college football, but I am no fan of the NCAA. They will have a difficult few years with all the suits and rulings. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out. Originally Posted by Rockydoc
Considering Alabama had a 21.6 million dollar surplus last year alone in the athletic department I do not think it would be much of a problem.

And honestly the NCAA will have some terrible years if the results of the suits are against them. What they have is pretty much a monopoly.
Sure, Bama could afford it, as can many big time schools. However, it Would be the death knell of nonprofit sports in many less competitive schools.
Sure, Bama could afford it, as can many big time schools. However, it Would be the death knell of nonprofit sports in many less competitive schools. Originally Posted by Rockydoc
Unless they all go Co-Op and share the wealth..

Fuck I did not just say that did I?? Shit.. I need to be kicked for that.