Would it be legal?

Okay in this article the hotel hosting a failed convention threatened to kick guests out of their hotel rooms if the con didn't make up the money lost on low attendance. But I'm wondering if that would have been legal as guests were more than likely going to be charged regardless? Wouldn't the guests be able to file a complaint with their credit card company and fight charges. Or possibly sue? The hotel gave them a room at an agreed upon rate for the con and it's not the guests fault the con wasn't as popular as advertised.

http://www.dallasobserver.com/arts/d...siness-9090277
The claim would be actionable civilly but the conduct is probably not criminal.

btw, it may be in the "fine print" of the contract with the discount rate on the hotel rooms that the discount was dependent on the convention booking all the rooms it reserved.
.... it may be in the "fine print" of the contract with the discount rate on the hotel rooms that the discount was dependent on the convention booking all the rooms it reserved. Originally Posted by ShysterJon
From an ex-hotel Sr. Staff:
Jon's theory is correct as it is common that this is in the fine print of a convention deal. Otherwise the credit card companies would cause hotels a heap of trouble on the disputed charge process.

All that said, dispute the charge with the credit card co. anyway cause the hotel will be forced to document the situation. And if they don't....
Thanks for satisfying my curiosity. Hey look you're pleasing women with barely lifting a few fingers
My finger is my best appendage. It's twice the size of my dick.