I'm REALLY homesick, which is unusual for me. Any suggestions?

I just got to Arlington, VA on Wednesday. Nothing was wrong with the trip here but even during the plane ride, I wanted to be back home.

And I found myself, last night while sitting in bed, looking at Southwest flights back home to Dallas and seeing how much they cost.

Crazy, huh? I have a class starting this morning. And yes, I've entertained some.

I have a busy scheduled planned for the next week.

But I am BADLY missing Dallas. I'm missing several of YOU folks here! I'm just feeling really homesick. It's so weird and well, bothersome.

Does anyone have suggestions for those of us who are often on the road and sometimes, just stuck in a hotel room?

I'll get busy enough and pretty soon, in fact. Just any suggestions to have waiting for me when I get back to my room, and checking messages, would be appreciated!!!

Hope everyone here is enjoying the day, smiling a lot, getting laid and well ... I just wanted to say hello.

Missing everyone (and yes, this includes you, too!)!!!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
Happens to me, too, but Oz isn't what it used to be since the little people started selling out to the big real estate developers.

Hope you have a productive and safe stay in VA. That really is a great area to visit.
Facetime with a regular?

Dude's are always happy to see a pretty lady.

I think Skype has less RL/outing issues with Face-time, IMHO

Especially if your special someone is usually all alone too.

A lot of us hobby for that reason.

Some of us are surrounded by family but feel alone inside (Then they are less of a candidate to FT as RL entanglements can arise more easily in their cases)

EW,

We can't control what sort of thoughts will pop into our heads; We do get to decide how long we keep them and let them fester/linger.

May this give you more peace and put you more at ease.

Enjoy your trip girl!!
  • Uncas
  • 03-14-2014, 08:17 AM
I travel all the time and it happens to me a lot. I miss my dog…I don't think theres anything wrong with wanting to go home, beats the heck out of not wanting to be there. I probably means you have a happy healthy life…for whatever thats worth
Compartmentalize, work hard, and stack paper!
I travel a lot and in my head I think of the time away as a mini vacation and in my free time there I explore the area and actually sleep a lot.

I don't eat at chain restaurants, find the local greasy spoon. They have people that like to talk to out of towners and you learn about them.

Collect anything? Spoons, shot glasses, etc? Go on a hunt for those items.

For someone like you, if a client seems nice ask if he'd like to do dinner - I'm still under the belief many of us are looking for more than sex but not a relationship so the time with a nice person would be good.

Good luck!
I used to travel a lot, and I remember the more frequent the flights, the more I tried to postpone them ...
My flying included in a high percentage 5 star resorts on the beach ... I remember many friends telling me: you lucky SOB ... but I didn't feel lucky but homesick ...
I used to get up early, run some miles on the beach and swim in the ocean every morning I was traveling ... but bottom line, I was alone

During breakfast I would see families or couples enjoying their vacation but I had no one to share that time with ...
This was my problem: Since I am an extremely social person, I was lacking someone to share my time with ...

After some time I started taking the first flight in the morning and coming back in the last so I could be sleeping home instead of staying in a hotel room ...

When I had to stay, It helped to bring a good book, or a show I wanted to watch or visit with local friends if any or schedule social activities with business associates like theater or/and dinner ...
Hello Elisabeth! Just hang in there kid. You'll get involved in all the activities and sooner than you think you'll be boarding that iron bird to come home.
Have a WONDERFUL time nice lady!
Jim
Elizabeth. It can be lonely and feel helpless when you are out of your element.

I don't mean to make light of your homesickness, but you asked what we would do. When I traveled, I would go to the bar and watch the people and TV hoping to make contact with a nice female. Maybe you could do the same. Pick a nice gentleman and end up giving him the time of his life never letting on you are anything but a lonely traveling housewife who is neglected at home.

Sorry for throwing in a fantasy while you are stuck away from Dallas. Maybe the thought of the look on his face when you kissed him goodnight for the last time. He'll leave wondering who would neglect such a lovely lady never knowing you have many appreciative admirers here.

For some reason, this reminded me of the sign below. Maybe it will make you smile.

Have a nice trip and hurry back to happiness.

Elizabeth, I understand. I have moved so much that I can pack a house in one afternoon. The new place is never like the old place and home sickness sets in. I've found that keeping something in my luggage that embodies "home" helps. I have pictures and videos on my laptop.

I get out and see what the new place has to offer, talk to the people. I stay away from touristy stuff unless it's something on my list to see. I go for walks because physical activity can take your mind off your troubles. "A leisurely walk is a gift".

You're in Arlington Va. and there is so much to see. I'm a military history buff so I'd be pretty busy there. Find something that captures your interest and go do it. Eat where the locals eat and stay away from anything that's a chain. Check Urbanspoon for that.

I know it doesn't look right or smell right where you are. Just try to explore the new. Good luck.
I'm a social butterfly and am adventurous ,so Ill call a friend or get out myself. I like to see movies, plays, and trying the area-local famous cuisine. Grab a few brochures, and explore the nature trails and attractions. I know its hard. The best luck to you !
Lol OG,

I'm gonna start doing that!!

Ah, the glamour of business travel, right?
Here you go sweets. I used to go to DC a lot a few years back and I would always stop in at Clydes for food & fun.

Often you'll see the local politicians rummaging around for votes and what not.

Try the one in Georgetown but the Market Center seems to be the one getting the press these days..

http://www.clydes.com/

I just got to Arlington, VA on Wednesday. Nothing was wrong with the trip here but even during the plane ride, I wanted to be back home.

And I found myself, last night while sitting in bed, looking at Southwest flights back home to Dallas and seeing how much they cost.

Crazy, huh? I have a class starting this morning. And yes, I've entertained some.

I have a busy scheduled planned for the next week.

But I am BADLY missing Dallas. I'm missing several of YOU folks here! I'm just feeling really homesick. It's so weird and well, bothersome.

Does anyone have suggestions for those of us who are often on the road and sometimes, just stuck in a hotel room?

I'll get busy enough and pretty soon, in fact. Just any suggestions to have waiting for me when I get back to my room, and checking messages, would be appreciated!!!

Hope everyone here is enjoying the day, smiling a lot, getting laid and well ... I just wanted to say hello.

Missing everyone (and yes, this includes you, too!)!!!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
I get "homesick" a lot. I just do my best to stay busy and focus on what makes me happy. New places and things take a lot of getting used to…even if they are only temporary.

I wish I knew something about VA..so I could make suggestions..but I don't.

Hang in there.. you will make it through and you'll be back in your own warm bed before you know it.