Hobby Phone

I found out about an alternative to having a second phone for the hobby. I'm sure many already know but for the benefit of the ones who don't:

Buy a prepaid sim card (I use TMobile), it will cost as little as $10. Set the account under a fake name, they won't verify. I told them it was for a guy who was working for me and that I needed to stay in touch with him.

From that point it's just a matter of switching the sim cards on your phone. The obvious downside is that your real phone number will be off while you use the other one. If you have an old phone you can use it.

It works well for me because I don't use the phone a lot for hobbying.
Did a quick search but didn't find much details. How many minutes and texts do you get? Do these minutes expire? No monthly or annual contract I assume? How do you recharge the minutes? I'll research more when I have some time
Just use google voice (requires jail breaking "carrier any locked" the phone) since carriers prevent other voice services including google voice. sigh. Turns out a jail break pretty easy and guys on CL will flash your phone for about 20-30 then you can use google voice (which is nice, cause it handles texts too)...
I have AT&T and Googlevoice for my iPhone 4s , no jail breaking required .
Yeah I'm with rockerrick. I use an iPhone 4S and Google Voice with no jail breaking.
Yeah I'm with rockerrick. I use an iPhone 4S and Google Voice with no jail breaking. Originally Posted by countzero
Same here. You just have to remember to clear your call history and select that texts are not forwarded to your phone. Otherwise easy to use and only one phone to carry.
Careful with your voicemail settings with Google Voice.... had some problems with GV calls ending up in my personal voicemail if I rejected the call. If I let it ring, it would go to GV voicemail.
i have a prepaid "internet" phone to go along with my personal phone. it helps when im around family and i can turn the phone off so they dont hear constant ringing or if im around friends that use my phone when theirs die.

it comes in handy!!
I use an app called pinger & text free on android its free all u need is data or WiFi. You enter in your area code, then it gives you numbers to pick from. You can even block numbers too.
  • Joan
  • 12-05-2012, 12:32 AM
I am having issues with my google voice too :-(
Joan, who the fuck is Elinor Glyn, and how did he or she ever get to be so smart? "Romance is the glamour which turns the dust of everyday life into a golden haze."

Sounds to me like just what the doctor ordered, although the doctor is probably too clueless to suggest anything so radical. Guess that means I'm an emo.

Google Voice: lots of options, probably too many to juggle for most people. Including me. I've tried it, and once people try to text you, it gets to be a cluster fuck.

I'll stick with my prepaid burner for a hobby phone. Much less complicated in the long run.
  • Joan
  • 12-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Leave it to the English! Ha-- If only Dear Elinor would have invented the Ideal Hobby phone whilst she was living, we all would be happy :-D (no emo faces) :-)

According to Elinor:

"All the legislation in the world will not abolish Kissing"

"American husbands are the best in the world; no other husbands are so generous to their wives, or can be so easily divorced"
  • Qziz
  • 12-05-2012, 05:12 PM
Joan is back and whipping out the obscure references!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elinor_Glyn
  • Joan
  • 12-05-2012, 05:21 PM
matches your obscure avatar!
  • Joan
  • 12-05-2012, 05:29 PM