A New Hobby Toy (and the makers have no idea. Well...)

Today I got Clear 4G wireless. It is far superior to other mobile wireless options. And it is just cool all around.

1. it is truly unlimited, unlike some mobile plans
2. no more hunting hotspots
3. since you can use it anywhere you don't have to worry about hiding from the SO, or the other people at the coffee shop seeing you are looking at naked women
4. you can use it at work and use a full screen instead of trying to look on an iPhone or smartphone

Anyway, just thought I would share. I LOVE Clear!

Oh yeah, I only pay $40 a month!
Hey Sacker,

Thanks for the dish. I might be interested. How about more details?
Like:
Carrier
Type of phone you got
Type of plan
The full scoop! :-P
Thanks,
Knav.
Clear is the company. It is mobile 4G wireless for a laptop. It can also be used in your home.

Sorry for the confusion.

http://www.clear.com/
How strange, I was just over at best buy looking at the info sheet on Clear. My verizon has been pretty pokey lately and have been looking to switch; thanks for the heads up......
It's working really well for me. I have just had it today though, we will see how it goes. I love it so far though.
Thanks for "Clearing" that up, Sacker. :-P
Cheers,
Knav.
Clear is 51% owned by Sprint, and 27% by a mix of mostly cable providers. The service is rebranded and sold under the Clear, Sprint, and several other names.

Sprint sells it for $60/month, is unlimited, and also gives you access on their 3G system should you be in an area with no 4G service, but there is a limit to how much you use on 3G.

Time Warner (also a partial owner) is selling the service around Austin starting at $30 per month, but it is limited to a crummy 2GB downloads per month, and apparently to get some of the better plans means spending more money and there is talk of a tying agreement forcing you to bundle with other services.

Clear looks like a pretty good choice.

Does anyone really browse eccie on their blackberry?
Does anyone really browse eccie on their blackberry? Originally Posted by spincycle
I browse and respond to posts and PMs and what not on my iphone all the time. I guess the screen is bigger than a blackberry though.
I love my Clear internet! One of the happiest days of my life was when I called to cancel my AT&T internet service; I loathe that company.
In August, the AT&T contract will be up with Apple. Verizon here we come, and then we can tether our iPhones to our laptops without jailbreaking them.

I had a Cricket broadband card before I got my iPhone, I really only got it because I could use it to post multiple CL ads from different IP addresses.

So far everyone has been praising Clear.
In August, the AT&T contract will be up with Apple. Verizon here we come, and then we can tether our iPhones to our laptops without jailbreaking them. Originally Posted by AidanRedd

Umm, if I'm reading this correctly, you are under the impression that your iphone will work with Verizon Wireless. It won't. At all. iPhone uses 850 Mhz GSM voice and 850/1900 Mhz HSPA 3G data networks. Verizon's network runs on 800/1900 CDMA voice and 800/1900 Mhz EVDO Rev A for 3G data. Totally incompatible.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you ought to know this already...

edit: I should add that there are rumors of a forthcoming EVDO iphone (for example, see this recent post on Engadget). So far however, nothing has been confirmed by anyone, so you may have to wait quite a while for this.
Goodhands:
Thanks for mentioning that, I thought something had happened so that I could get away from AT&T with my Iphone too.. oh well.
There will be a a version of the iphone coming out for Verizon; probably not till Q4. It will not have the ability to tether to your PC as a modem. Apps that let you do this have been pulled from the app store.
Whether 3G or 4G, using an aircard at work allows you to surf independent of big brother's snooping, firewall restrictions, and website logging. Be sure to operate in an InPrivate session (available in latest release of most browser apps). A panic window closing won't leave a readily accessible history. Clear's coverage outside Austin proper is still lacking, traveling with it can be dicey. Check your operating cities (especially for the ladies that tour). To have fall back to 3G requires opting for the "+" program, for about five bucks more a month... and as mentioned, carries a usage allowance.

There are still 3rd party apps for BlackBerry's to tether for data service to bypass carrier's mandatory surcharge. See http://www.tether.com
I've considered Clear, but in my investigations found that coverage was spotty. You'd either have full bars or none, without much in-between. Is that still the case? It would suck if I got great coverage along 183, but none at my house or work.