Any downtown boutique or quirky hotels in Austin?

Hey.

I'm planning a trip to Austin and I always prefer to stay downtown. I sincerely thought that I had seen a list somewhere of "interesting" places to stay.

I have checked the Driskill for my dates and it's completely booked. Another downtown hotel that I like is available but I was curious if there were any others?

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Staying downtown is my preference.

Thanks!
Elisabeth
The San Jose or the Austin Motel on South Congress are super funky! But super expensive too! The San Jose is soooo worth it though! It also has a really cool documentary out about the history of the hotel. Heh. It's pretty dicey.. apparently the place went from being a by the hour/rent to recently released convicts/flop house type of set up to this really posh "boutique" hotel! ~K
My personal favorite is the Hotel Saint Cecilia just south of downtown on Congress. If I'm not mistaken, it's owned by the same group who owns the San Jose. Get the Hunter S. Thompson Suite and you will not be disappointed!
Saw your question earlier and could not respond at the time; I would have to recommend the Hotel San Jose also.sanjosehotel.com Wonderful shopping and dining all within walking distance. It is called our SOCO district, ( south congress avenue ). Within a long walk or a short taxi to downtown. I put up clients there and they enjoy it. It also has a rather naughty history as the original hotel was a by the hour place, the hotel was basically at the starting place for the "South Congress Stroll".
I have stayed at the Stephen F Austin Intercontinental. Not as nice as the Driscoll, but similar.
http://austinist.com/2007/07/24/champagne_wishe.php

Here's a link I found that talks about the documentary. The history of South Congress and this hotel especially, so make Austin what it is!!!!!! Heh.. now they call it "SoCo". I remember once seeing a supremely fugly tranny hooker in front of the St. Ed's University sign. Oh the irony!
E- I hope your stay this time is wayyy better than the last!! If ya need any non-tourist pointer, gimme a shout! ~K
Here's a link I found that talks about the documentary. The history of South Congress and this hotel especially, so make Austin what it is!!!!!! Heh.. now they call it "SoCo". I remember once seeing a supremely fugly tranny hooker in front of the St. Ed's University sign. Oh the irony!
E- I hope your stay this time is wayyy better than the last!! If ya need any non-tourist pointer, gimme a shout! ~K Originally Posted by karmaofaustin
I miss the old South Congress, SoCo repulses me. I have no need for a tranny but would rather see one than the "progress" I see now.

here is a joke i made up: what did u call blacks and latinos loitering on south congress? A nuisance

what do u call "yuppies" loitering and jaywalking on SoCo during first thursday? progress!!!
  • 04-20-2010, 08:47 AM
My sister stays at the Kimber when she's in town; gorgeous little B&B just off SoCo.