When it finally happens, 21 - 0.

• Devo
  • 04-24-2022, 01:04 PM
Lifelong friend just announced he has finally given up on the Pirates, after a lifetime of loving fandom.

The 21-0 debacle finally killed it for him.

Me?

After they broke the record for the longest losing streak in major leauge history.

At what point does the owner need to forced to sell the team?

Sorry if this isn't violently political, but...
... Other teams get beat in a similar manner sometimes also, mate.
It's ONE game. Sydney wasn't built all in one day, ya know...

Let's see just how long the Pirates can hang-in
before we soak them... Let's at least give 'em another 10 games.

### Salty
It's one game. Sheesh

Yeah Nutting sucks as an owner but MLB has a broken economic system that makes it extremely difficult for smaller market teams to fairly compete from year to year. MLB is the only major sports league with no salary cap system

For what it's worth, the Pirates are doing what they need to do to compete. Tear it all down by trading away what you can for good returns, gather a ton of cheap young prospects, and hope that a number of those prospects all succeed at the same time - giving you a window in which to compete
  • Devo
  • 04-24-2022, 01:54 PM
... Other teams get beat in a similar manner sometimes also, mate.
It's ONE game. Sydney wasn't built all in one day, ya know...

Let's see just how long the Pirates can hang-in
before we soak them... Let's at least give 'em another 10 games.

### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Worst loss in 135 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no such thing as any worse...

Unless they beat their own record.

Pathetic.
  • Devo
  • 04-24-2022, 02:09 PM
It's one game. Sheesh

Yeah Nutting sucks as an owner but MLB has a broken economic system that makes it extremely difficult for smaller market teams to fairly compete from year to year. MLB is the only major sports league with no salary cap system

For what it's worth, the Pirates are doing what they need to do to compete. Tear it all down by trading away what you can for good returns, gather a ton of cheap young prospects, and hope that a number of those prospects all succeed at the same time - giving you a window in which to compete Originally Posted by berryberry
For 3 decades they have been doing that.

Doesn't appear to be a good working strategy.

Especially as many of the guys traded go elsewhere and succeed.

Andrew Carnegie said he was successful by surrounding himself with good people.

Try that maybe?
For 3 decades they have been doing that. Originally Posted by Devo
No they haven't. You should educate yourself better on what they have been doing before commenting

Doesn't appear to be a good working strategy.
Originally Posted by Devo
Its very similar to the strategy employed by the Astros and Cubs that led them to win the World Series this past decade. Doesn't mean it works 100% of the time but it is the best strategy for a small market team
  • Devo
  • 04-24-2022, 03:19 PM
They have been constantly trading off good talent at trade time for decades, and dumping them for prospects that never pay off.

But you are right in one respspect, its been very difficult to follow them because its not worth the time to bother.
You clearly don't understand the difference between the full rebuild they are attempting now and what they did in the past

Under Huntington they may have made some moves either buying or selling guys each year. But they never tore it down all the way and when they did trade someone away they targeted safer, close to the majors players vs higher risk much younger players who have much more potential upside

Under Cherington they traded away virtually everyone that had any value for higher upside, higher risk younger players. And they went the same way in the draft focusing on the higher upside, higher risk options.

Two VERY different approaches
  • Devo
  • 04-24-2022, 06:02 PM
You clearly don't understand the difference between the full rebuild they are attempting now and what they did in the past

Under Huntington they may have made some moves either buying or selling guys each year. But they never tore it down all the way and when they did trade someone away they targeted safer, close to the majors players vs higher risk much younger players who have much more potential upside

Under Cherington they traded away virtually everyone that had any value for higher upside, higher risk younger players. And they went the same way in the draft focusing on the higher upside, higher risk options.

Two VERY different approaches Originally Posted by berryberry
In any case, I hope it works, the point of this thread was that lifelong, and very patient fans are giving up.

This guys son is handicapped and one of his favorite things was going to Pirate games, its sad to see someone with so little to have good in his life be tainted by one owners desire to make as much money as possible, instead of having a winning team.
  • Devo
  • 04-24-2022, 06:04 PM
Me, its sad, but after swearing off the Kneelers, and long ago giving up on the Pirates, its down to the NHL, and in the next few years, the pens are going to be in a similar situation, as they lose their long time stars.
... uh... Riverhounds. ... playin' GOOD football.

### Salty
  • Devo
  • 04-25-2022, 10:19 AM
... uh... Riverhounds. ... playin' GOOD football.

### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again
Any kneeling or woke shit?
... Oh Piss! ... ... They were "woke" for some o'
the time last season.... Even cancelled their playoff match
due to "Co-vid concerns" ...

... Hmmmm ... Come to reason, mate - forget I mentioned them.

### Salty
Me, its sad, but after swearing off the Kneelers, and long ago giving up on the Pirates, its down to the NHL, and in the next few years, the pens are going to be in a similar situation, as they lose their long time stars. Originally Posted by Devo
Hey guys, get ready for a rebuild of the Pens. Letang will probably want a ton, this team can't afford him, Geno may give a hometown discount, but let him go(he used to be my favorite). Don't worry about Syd, he is a Pen for life(according to Mario). They need to keep Rust, he is young, I may be overlooking any other urfa's.
  • Devo
  • 04-26-2022, 03:11 PM
Hey guys, get ready for a rebuild of the Pens. Letang will probably want a ton, this team can't afford him, Geno may give a hometown discount, but let him go(he used to be my favorite). Don't worry about Syd, he is a Pen for life(according to Mario). They need to keep Rust, he is young, I may be overlooking any other urfa's. Originally Posted by Looker151
Here's hoping the new owners are willing to spend the cheese to see the cup!