67 Years ago today...

A group of men with more guts then I could possibly imagine stormed the beaches of Normandy in what would become the largest military invasion in history. I just want to take a moment to say thank you to all those who served and died that day so we can live our lives today.

Just think, if the youngest person was 18 (legal enlistment age) and survived, they would be 85 years old today. This generation won't be around for all that much longer I'm afraid, so say thank you at every chance you get.
I'm fortunate enough to have visited the US cemetary behind Omaha beach, the one one seen in "Saving Private Ryan." Incrediably moving, and about all one can do is what Marcus recommends: say thanks. One of the things I love about SA is how many people recognize those in uniform for their service.
Thank you.
I had the good fortune of talking to both of my grandfathers about their time in World War II.

My father's father had already been in Normandy by about half a day, when the first soldiers hit the beaches. He was pretty low-key about his time in the ETO, but being a bit of a amateur historian about American airborne operations, I had a pretty good notion of what he left unsaid. My mother's father was on a tin can in the Pacific and saw action also. Same sort of low-key attitude when I asked about his service.

I took both of them as sources of inspiration, and tried to serve as they did, without expectation of recognition or reward for simply doing my duty as I served my country.

I miss them both, and hope I have made them proud.
Thanks for sharing that, Marcus.

This past Saturday, I'd hoped (but didn't succeed -- long story) to visit the Museum of the Pacific War up in Fredericksburg, in observation of the 69th anniversary of the June 4, 1942 American victory at Midway...where the United States Navy waged a desperate battle against a much larger Japanese invasion fleet. Before noon that day, however, the tide of the Pacific War had turned in America's favor: three Japanese aircraft carriers were resting in their graves on the Pacific Ocean floor; and the fourth was so heavily damaged that it would sink the following day.

(My dad didn't take part in that battle, although he served on an Essex-class aircraft carrier in the Pacific at the end of the war. He's now 91 and frail.)
THOSE were heroes! ! ! !
BTW...that museum in f'brg is outstanding! better than the D-Day museum in New Orleans.
THOSE were heroes! ! ! ! Originally Posted by whitetail32
They all were, Whitetail -- whether at Midway, Normandy, the skies over Berlin, or dozens of places of which most of the present-day American public never even heard.

And although I can't compare with other museums, I agree with you that the one in F-burg is outstanding.