How would Al Jolson do today?????

Maybe our esteemed historian will chime in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_Jolson
never heard of him. interesting.
A different time.

Doctors used to bleed people because they thought it was good for them.
Al Jolson considered the greatest entertainer of his day. Black face was common place in the early part of the 20th century. It was a carry over from the days of minstrel shows but with a difference. Minstrel shows generally made light of black people. They were the punchlines to the jokes and their mannerisms were exaggerated. Like anyone, someone had to take the pie. Blackface was needed because theater was segregated. If you needed a black man to play Uncle Tom then you took a white man and added burnt cork. Would any of that be taken into consideration? Probably not. Jolson was Jewish but progressives really don't like Jewish people. They're just too damn religious and less likely to go back to the democrats if they switch parties.
A different time.

Doctors used to bleed people because they thought it was good for them. Originally Posted by VitaMan
It was the 1920s, 30s, and 40s. Not the 1520s.
A different time.

Doctors used to bleed people because they thought it was good for them. Originally Posted by VitaMan
They harvest Adrenochrome today. But doctors don’t do it.
"never heard of him. interesting"

Very interesting ....and telling. He was well before my time as were Barrymore, Chaplan and Bara, but I heard of them all.
Maaaammmmyyyy
Maaaammmmyyyy Originally Posted by Jackie S

let's roil that beautiful "racist" bean footage shall we?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIaj7FNHnjQ
let's roil that beautiful "racist" bean footage shall we? Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
So you're comparing Al Jolson in 1927 with the KKK of today?

Kinda silly...
So you're comparing Al Jolson in 1927 with the KKK of today?

Kinda silly... Originally Posted by pfunkdenver
What? c'mon man at least try?
You know I'm smart and educated. Very smart with lots of experience in a great many things...but sometimes people like pfunk just leave me guessing about what they're trying to say.

the KKK today is pretty much non-existent. Back in 1927, the KKK was having a good time resurging. 50,000 Klansmen marched on Washington DC in 1925 and 1926. They hated blacks, Catholics, and Jews like Jolson.
You know I'm smart and educated. Very smart with lots of experience in a great many things...but sometimes people like pfunk just leave me guessing about what they're trying to say.

the KKK today is pretty much non-existent. Back in 1927, the KKK was having a good time resurging. 50,000 Klansmen marched on Washington DC in 1925 and 1926. They hated blacks, Catholics, and Jews like Jolson. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
And, they were Democrats!!!
I’d say 100 years ago was a different time.

And we all know why this is an important thread now, right?

But living in the past continues to be central to the neocons.

Comes as a tremendous shock, fellas!

On a similar note, I wonder how Attila the Hun would do today.

Or polio.

Or asbestos.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHSH!!!
I’d say 100 years ago was a different time.

And we all know why this is an important thread now, right?

But living in the past continues to be central to the neocons.

Comes as a tremendous shock, fellas!

On a similar note, I wonder how Attila the Hun would do today.

Or polio.

Or asbestos.

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHSH!!! Originally Posted by Yssup Rider
Atilla the Hun’s in the WH, or Delaware. It’s not working out so well.