Why the fuck is Homeland Security Concerned about the hobby

As part of the "Safe Action Project," DHS staff will train hotel and hospitality workers on how to spot the so-called signs of sex trafficking. Alleged "red flags" include:

garbage cans containing many used condoms
frequent use of "Do Not Disturb" sign on room door
excessive foot traffic in and out of a room
"excessive sex paraphernalia" in room
an "overly smelly room" that reeks of "cigarette, marijuana, sweat, bodily fluids, and musk"
a guest who "averts eyes or does not make eye contact"
individuals "dressed inappropriate for age" or with "lower quality clothing than companions"
guests with "suspicious tattoos"
the presence of multiple computers, cell phones, pagers, credit card swipes, or other technology
the presence of photography equipment
minibar in need of frequent restocking
guests with too many personal hygiene products, especially "lubrication, douches"
guests with too few personal possessions
rooms paid for with cash or a rechargeable credit card
"individuals loitering and soliciting male customers"
"claims of being an adult though appearance suggests adolescent features"
refusal of room cleaning services for multiple days

Here is the link to the full article http://reason.com/blog/2016/01/12/ho...hotel-staff-to

individuals "dressed inappropriate for age" or with "lower quality clothing than companions"
the presence of multiple computers, cell phones, pagers, credit card swipes, or other technology

Originally Posted by CummingsLane
I work for a technology firm and the "red flags" above - especially the "multiple computers, cell phones ..." - would have hotel workers turning a lot of us in as sex traffickers. The introverted, poorly dressed tech nerd loaded down with tech toys is not just a stereotype. And for the younger techies you can add on the tattoo red flag also.
I work for a technology firm and the "red flags" above - especially the "multiple computers, cell phones ..." - would have hotel workers turning a lot of us in as sex traffickers. The introverted, poorly dressed tech nerd loaded down with tech toys is not just a stereotype. And for the younger techies you can add on the tattoo red flag also. Originally Posted by penname
Everyone and anyone would be getting reported. Can you imagine sleeping in from a long night and getting reported because you have a do not disturb sign on the door. Then what is the purpose of it?
Simple: because of the "War on Trafficking."
Trafficking of
D***s
People
Slavery
  • Old-T
  • 01-18-2016, 06:14 PM
Because too many idiots think every sex worker MUST be drugged, tortured, and forced into it. Heaven forbid they would actually want to be KNOWLEDGEABLE about things before over reacting.

I remember being out to dinner with one of the ladies who has become a very close friend. This was a professional date fairly early in our history, and since it was her birthday I wanted to take her someplace a little special--it was at one of the fanciest restaurants in DC and we were on our way to the Kennedy Center with concert tickets. The Matre' D stopped by at the end of the meal and pointed with his chin towards another couple across the room and essentially said, "I wish we had more clientele like you and your wife. Look at those two! I wish I didn't have to let them in here!"

The couple he was referring to was an ambassador and his daughter.

I really wish that DHS and a bunch of others would get their focus on the actual trafficked people--sex workers or otherwise--and pimps who use threats & violence to control ladies. Leave the truly mutually conceptual folks alone. No, we don't need saving from ourselves!
I also read somewhere that many hotels have hidden cameras in your room... For example marriott they have even admitted to it..
  • Old-T
  • 01-18-2016, 06:32 PM
I also read somewhere that many hotels have hidden cameras in your room... For example marriott they have even admitted to it.. Originally Posted by Dorthy_Monroe
I would want to see that original source. That seems to be a huge lawsuit waiting.
I remember being out to dinner with one of the ladies who has become a very close friend. This was a professional date fairly early in our history, and since it was her birthday I wanted to take her someplace a little special--it was at one of the fanciest restaurants in DC and we were on our way to the Kennedy Center with concert tickets. The Matre' D stopped by at the end of the meal and pointed with his chin towards another couple across the room and essentially said, "I wish we had more clientele like you and your wife. Look at those two! I wish I didn't have to let them in here!"

The couple he was referring to was an ambassador and his daughter.
Originally Posted by Old-T
You lost me, Old-T.

1. "...Look at those two!..." What was it about their attire or behavior that the maitre d' found distasteful?

2. What does this story have to do with the original topic?
As part of the "Safe Action Project," DHS staff will train hotel and hospitality workers on how to spot the so-called signs of sex trafficking. Alleged "red flags" include:

garbage cans containing many used condoms
frequent use of "Do Not Disturb" sign on room door
excessive foot traffic in and out of a room
"excessive sex paraphernalia" in room
an "overly smelly room" that reeks of "cigarette, marijuana, sweat, bodily fluids, and musk"
guests with "suspicious tattoos"
the presence of photography equipment
minibar in need of frequent restocking
guests with too many personal hygiene products, especially "lubrication, douches"
guests with too few personal possessions
rooms paid for with cash or a rechargeable credit card
"individuals loitering and soliciting male customers"
"claims of being an adult though appearance suggests adolescent features"
refusal of room cleaning services for multiple days

Here is the link to the full article http://reason.com/blog/2016/01/12/ho...hotel-staff-to Originally Posted by CummingsLane
That's just a regular vacation for me!!
Having once worked in the hotel industry, I would be highly surprised if many hotel employees had time on their hands to play private eye for Uncle Sugar, or for that matter that too many will give a shit.
That's just a regular vacation for me!! Originally Posted by Ed Highlight
More like a normal business trip ...
Having once worked in the hotel industry, I would be highly surprised if many hotel employees had time on their hands to play private eye for Uncle Sugar, or for that matter that too many will give a shit. Originally Posted by SisterTwister
Agreed.

For the most part, hotel management has always welcomed guests who behave properly in public and who, when the depart, leave the rooms fairly clean with nothing damaged.

That said, it behooves all of us in the hobby to exercise proper judgment when renting or visiting a hotel room.

Some hotel management (usually in the very upper corporate echelons) have cautioned or even asked local properties to be on the look out for sex workers.

But, reality is that local venues are usually not operated by the chain itself but by local franchisees, and what they want is support from the chain, not interference with well-behaving and well-paying customers.

Plenty of ways out there for traveling ladies to look "very legit" both in dress and in making reservations and in occupying rooms and appearing very, very legit.

DHS is trying to make a tidal wave out of a gentle ripple.

imo most traffickers won't even use hotels; they simply get apartments or long-term stay places in which traffic patterns go unnoticed. Long stay places usually don't even send maids to the rooms except perhaps once a week.
DHS has to spend their budget some how, otherwise theyll have to shut the program down and lay people off and we cant have that
Simple: because of the "War on Trafficking." Originally Posted by Lena Duvall
The human trafflicking make business look bad.No one should be forced into nothing