I have to vent a little..

Here's a suggestion.

KRLD (1080 AM)does traffic updates every 10 minutes.

If you have an appointment and are not at the incall, have your radio on while getting ready for at least an hour ahead of time. I'd bet most providers might not want to listen to conservative talk radio prior to an appointment because it might be the polar opposite of their political leanings, but at least you might keep abreast of traffic conditions since it is much more likely that 635 is slow or closed than open most days, especially any time around rush hours. (Rush hour on 635 starts at 2pm and ends around 8pm)

The traffic is on the 8's so 4:08, 5:08 etc.

I knew 635 was closed at Marsh with traffic backed up to 75 when I was on my way to the bank and so I knew to avoid 635 well before I reached it.
OMGOSH!!!! THAT WAS REALLY A BAD BAD O'DEAL!!!!! 635 WAS A PARKING LOTT!
I wish I could had told you! 635 sucks enough without that deal today!!!!
NOT GOOD! But, it was nothing you could had helped!

Try and HAVE A GREAT NIGHT!

XO
Becky
You can also check Google Maps that now has a Traffic button.
Dallas Traffic

Showed a traffic jam on westbound 635 just before 75 at 2:00. (Yes, you can check actual past traffic. Cool.) Not sure how accurate it is.
Okay..off track (somewhat!),
But ya'll make me soooooo grateful for living in the Mid-Cities!!

But you have my sympathies!
Yeah, it sucks. I've been a few minutes late but never more than that. I have a couple alternative routes, just in case. I also listen to am radio for traffic reports. Is there a GPS that notifies you of traffic problems and detours you around bad traffic? I have a Garmin but sadly, that feature isn't included in my model.
Well I too was STUCK IN THE MIDDLE of that mess, I did route it with Google maps on my iPhone problem was by the time Google showed it I was already at a near dead stop. Took me 2hrs to get to Las Colinas.
My worst nightmare is to get stuck in one of those total shutdowns. Can't go forward, can't go back, can't get off the freeway due to fences or barriers...yuuukkkk!!!

What if you have to pee? Well I usually have a cup in my truck for that...but what about the other?

I'm sure the gentleman you had the appointment with totally sympathized with you and was not upset...we all dread being caught in those situations...
Another option is satellite radio. I have Sirius/XM, it has a channel that alternates between Houston and DFW in four minute intervals. You get almost instant traffic and weather updates.
I've canceled appointments because I couldn't make it through 635. It's always a madhouse. If I know early enough, I'll take a side street. Unfortunately, because so many providers are available along the 635 corridor, I can't drive down the highway without becoming horny.

Stop ringing that bell Dr. Pavlov!!!