Just want to wine a bit...

Yes, I know this may be out of the 'lavish lifestyle' motif we got going in here...this is for wine lovers!

I enjoy wine, have been to Napa and Sonoma at least twice a year for the past 5 years. So, my question is: for the wine snobs ( you know who you are) what are you under $30.00 recommendations?

I can add Sterling, Beringer (reserve), Robert Mondavi (high end reserve) to my list.

Care to share or start a list?
I know you are more of a red fan then white. For red, I would +1 you on Sterling. I also like J Lohr ( maybe $15 but hey, I like it) and Chateau St Michelle, although I do not like their whites.

On the chard side, I have more favorites in that range because I drink more white. Sonoma Cutrer, Cuvaison, Simi, Ferrari Carano, Hayman Hill all my favorites and under/ at $30.

Can I splurge on the red side? If yes, good vintage years of Duckhorn Merlot. Too bad $55 or so per bottle

Would like a banging reference on a great Pinot Noir under $30
Thank you! We all know the expensive side,eh? I'm just curious to see what people enjoy under 30...I know there are some good wines out there at this price
How about that whining WTF was doing on the Massachusetts thread. Thats worth about 2 cents.
On a more serious note, there are plenty of Pinot Noirs, Syrahs and Shiraz's out there for under $30. You just have to shop.
Witness Tree Pinot Noir goes for about $28/bottle. Their select is in the $40 range but you can sometimes find it around $35
Honestly, I was looking for suggestions. I know what I like, but it never hurts to venture out and ask

Thank you DISCREETGENT.
If yes, good vintage years of Duckhorn Merlot. Too bad $55 or so per bottle Originally Posted by Judge Smails

Great question - I have a memo in my blackberry memo pad called "wines to buy" - I don't have prices attached, but I have ballpark values in my memory (some memories being rightly skewed by the slight buzz while drinking them).

Duckhorn Rocks. Worth the extra $20 bucks. In the under $30 range (sorry snob city here; can't get off that price point) David Bruce has a great Petite Sirah - his Pinot Noir is $40ish is much, much better than the sirah - challenges many $70+ bottles. But I have to say for sure the petite sirah is a great value for the price point at around $22 bucks. An aside: "great value for the price point" - when it comes to wine, I hate having to qualify and quantify my pleasure godammit!

Other favorites in the $20 range are Educated Guess - they come in Merlot and Cabs and are really good - - le crema pinot noir's are in the $19 range (which I am currently drinking at $13.99 a half bottle at my local drinve thru restaurant)...however if you are willing to go up to the $30 range, you start to find true value. For $25 ish you can get a 2007 Ruche Di Catagnole.

For 45 bucks or so, you can get a Jason Pinot Noir that will rock your world....

I love my damn wine. What are your favorites, pretty lady?
Oh - and I was just having a GREAT time drinking Root recently - red, don't remember what varietals available - but it was Red, out of Chile and damn good FOR SURE.
Duckhorn Paraduxx is a must have...had the privilege of visiting the winery several years ago. Also, I love Jordan, and Stags Leap...great every time. I have tasted so many, yet my budget does not allow me to buy. My current faves are Chiantis,and super Tuscon's...very cheap in Europe
Out of Israel if you can find Yarden Cabernet the current vintage is typically in the 20s and it cellars amazingly well for years that are real good or drinks well early on in other years.
Nicole, as you are quite aware many taste for many different people, but when you mentioned the Robert Mondavi selection a few that I thought you might enjoy....yes less than $30

Robert Mondavi Moscato D'oro, really a nice sweet desert wine

and for a Texas wine I would suggest LLano Estracodo Signature White, no not French quality but very nice for a Texas Winery Collection.

Again all under $30, but definitely not Boone's Farm
There is also 2 buck chuck (I think it's now 3 bucks) which for the price ....
D'Arenberg
Pillar Box Red
"R" Wines - Evil, Bitch, Boarding Pass
Penfolds
Kangarilla Road
And of course my favorite from Sam's Club - Red Knot (ultra low priced)
Yes, I know this may be out of the 'lavish lifestyle' motif we got going in here...this is for wine lovers!

I enjoy wine, have been to Napa and Sonoma at least twice a year for the past 5 years. So, my question is: for the wine snobs ( you know who you are) what are you under $30.00 recommendations?

I can add Sterling, Beringer (reserve), Robert Mondavi (high end reserve) to my list.

Care to share or start a list? Originally Posted by Nicole Preston
If you like Zinfandel, try Abundance Vineyards. It's a nice Lodi Old Vine that you ought to be able to find for $15-$18 a bottle.

I've been drinking mostly Rioja these days. If you like it, try Marques de Caceres Gran Reserva 2001. It checks in right around the $30 limit. The 2001 vintage is getting harder & harder to find but if well worth looking around.

I also just tried a 2003 Bordeaux that I really enjoyed. Damn, if I can find the label now. I'll dig around but that was a nice vintage. It's hard to screw up a 2003 Bordeaux.