If You Like STEPHEN HAWKING: Astrophysicist...

The Discovery Channel said Sunday it will broadcast "Stephen Hawking's Universe" in Britain next month.

Hawking: Aliens may pose risks to Earth
Astrophysicist says extraterrestrials likely exist, but could be dangerous

Sun., April 25, 2010
LONDON - British astrophysicist Stephen Hawking says aliens are out there, but it could be too dangerous for humans to interact with extraterrestrial life.

Hawking claims in a new documentary that intelligent alien lifeforms almost certainly exist, but warns that communicating with them could be "too risky."

The 68-year-old scientist says a visit by extraterrestrials to Earth would be like Christopher Columbus arriving in the Americas, "which didn't turn out very well for the Native Americans."

He speculates most extraterrestrial life will be similar to microbes, or small animals — but adds advanced lifeforms may be "nomads, looking to conquer and colonize."

LINK: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36769422
If I may paraphrase Arthur C. Clarke "when two technology different cultures make contact, the less advanced one is destroyed". It is another one of those myths that anyone who journeys through space is peaceful... unless they are from Earth according to James Cameron.
In science fiction, whenever an alien species is depicted the majority of times that species is considered as a predator or, if human-like in their appearance, a conniving species with an ulterior motive. Since the evolution of homo sapiens is, from an earth timeline, a very small portion of the 4.5 billion year existence of the earth (who really knows how old the universe is - or how old the actual earth is since the 4.5 billion year timeline is based on rock formation - the earth could have been gaseous or molten several billions years prior to the formation of solid rock) - the evolution of alien life may be on a similar timeline. Which may mean that alien life may not have reached out from near-planetary space travel, if at all, just like us. It may also mean that life formed outside our solar system may not be based on a carbon footprint or consume oxygen, nitrogen or carbon dioxide as a respiratory element, which means it could not exist on Earth in its current form.

Alien life may not look like any species that exists on Earth either. It is only the hubris of man to think that all intelligent life looks human or has human characteristics of speech, mobility or respiration. There's a lot of unintelligent life that looks and acts human.
I think Hawking has been watching 'V' on tv . But he actually makes a good point. Why are we sending signals out into space trying to say 'Hello', when we have no idea who we might end up communicating with.
I was watching some commercial for that new "Droid" phone last night. I could have swore it said that it has this deal where it gets your location, you can then find say like planet Mars and then press a button to send out your voice into space by speaking into the phone a message & then hitting send.

Just found that to be a little humorous as we already know everyone on planet Earth does not speak English. Why would we think that any other life form would even understand our verbal/audible form of communication?

I agree most of the time a higher life form comes in, they are there for things they need or want and not so much for the fun and friendship LOL. (Ex. Whites into Africa turned them into slaves and broke up families, Whites into Native America stole their land, exposed them to diseases unknown to them and alcoholism. Just a few, but there are many other examples over the years we can all associate this with.)

Either way...bottom line, we all have to die sometime of something. Why not go out in style by being annihilated by aliens LOL?