NFL Great George Blanda Dead

ALAMEDA, Calif. — The Oakland Raiders say Hall of Fame quarterback George Blanda has died. He was 83.
A Raiders' spokesman confirmed the death Monday. The team is expected to release a statement later Monday.
Blanda spent 26 seasons in the NFL as a quarterback and kicker while playing for three different teams. He spent 10 seasons with Chicago, seven with the Houston Oilers and nine with the Raiders before retiring in 1976 at the age of 48.
Blanda was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame on Aug. 1, 1981.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...est=latestnews
RIP he was a great one.
An original Oiler (AFL Champion Oilers)
And a personal favorite of mine.
He was a great player.
Blanda to Hennigan will forever live in Oiler lore! TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

RIP!
I remember a 43 year old Blanda coming off the bench (as Oaklands kicker) to replace Daryle Lamonica and throwing for 3 TDs in the 4th quarter to lead the Raiders in one of the most amazing comebacks I've ever seen.

The man had game!
  • RGB93
  • 09-28-2010, 11:04 AM
I saw him play in person in the late 50's as a Bear and in the the 70's a a Raider, great player, they threw away the mold after he was born. He played for the love of the game, not the money..
He was a good one.
Blanda to Hennigan will forever live in Oiler lore! TOUCHDOWN!!!!!

RIP! Originally Posted by bigtex

I can't believe it ... BigTex and I agree on something!!!! One of my childhood heroes. His Number 16 hung on my bedroom wall for many years while I was a kid.