Best Pint of Guinness in Houston (Inside the Loop)

I recently moved from the Channelview area into Midtown/Downtown, and wondered what are some great Pubs in the city.

I love a pint of Guinness, and wondered where you recommend for that Pub-like atmosphere.

I prefer the quieter places more designed for conversation, than a place that transforms into a live music venue (except maybe a single singer with a guitar).
While I was waiting for input here I went off Googling on my own and found this humorous blog of one woman and her friends off on a Guinness Pub Crawl.

I like their rules: One Pint, 30 minutes and move on to the next.

One Person's Guinness Pub Crawl

When I lived in London, there was a semi-famous Pub Crawl called the Circle Line Pub Crawl. You stopped at each stop and had a half pint (17 stops) at the first Pub you saw as you came out of the train station. I never tried this crawl, but it sounds fun.
I found this interesting "Inner Loop" blog called "The Loop Scoop."

Here is an entry where they call it H-Town Showdown and featured these two pubs against each other: Kenneally’s vs. McElroy’s

H-Town Showdown: Kenneally’s vs. McElroy’s
Stags Head and Red Lion (upper Kirby area) Also Richmond Arms (further out) For the college scene try Gingerman in Rice Village. Mucky Duck also has a nice venue with good food, although they have bands often.
Stags Head Originally Posted by notanewbie
I used to go there a lot, but as soon as I ventured over to McElroys I knew I had found a home.

I've also been to Mucky Duck, and Ginger Man and liked both of them. I was at both places in the daylight, so I didn't see the evening crowd.

Last night I ventured out and tried two MidTown places: The Maple Leaf, and Community Bar.

The Maple Leaf is not what I'm looking for. It's too open and has the feel of the bar half of a Bennigans or Applebees. But the bartender was nice and quickly changed out the Guinness keg when it emptied mid pint.

The Community Bar doesn't have Guinness, but was a very cool place. After researching Yelp, it obvious people love the food at CB. I wish it was a little darker in the daytime, but nice small place.

The quest continues ...
McElroys, I had forgotten the name. One sad thing about all of the places, as good as they are, none hold a candle to the pubs in the U.K.. In spirits or atmosphere.
none hold a candle to the pubs in the U.K.. In spirits or atmosphere.
Agreed! I was stationed and lived in London in the mid-90s. While I was there, I pub'd in England, Scotland and Wales.

It's a different world over there when it comes to just having beer with friends and strangers.

You at least understand what I'm trying to emulate here.
Try the Dubliner on Washington Avenue. The bartender's a Mick, and understands how to pour a Guiness.

Quiet, even at night when Washington goes wild.
pjryan? what's the pj from? usaf?
If you visit San Antonio, don't go to the Lion & Rose for a Guinness.
The barmaids refuse to pour it properly. One even gave me a great deal of attitude when I tried to explain to her how to pour it and that it wasn't MY idea...it was the Guinness folks who want it poured in a specific way.
The Lion & Rose also doesn't have any proper Guinness tulip glasses and instead pour into a plebian old pint glass.
Can't say I've found anywhere else. Might as well just order up a Shiner Bock and enjoy a South Texas specialty.
Try the Dubliner on Washington Avenue.
I'm coming off a self-imposed 20-month time out. In those nearly two years Washington Ave. has taken off, but I'm hearing the cops have made it a personal there.

Is Wash. Ave, really a DUI waiting to happen?
Operation find a Guinness continues:

I stopped in three places yesterday and attempted a 4th. I left the in-store performance of Los Skanarles at Cactus Music and stopped in my old favorite McElroys. One pint there is $5.00. McElroys, is nothing fancy, but consistent. Some people love the back patio, but since the smoking ban, it just means the inside of the bar is just the way I like it.

From there I, came home down Richmond and thought about stopping at "Harps," but it looked completely empty. It was 4:30 PM.

Next was Little Woodrows (MidTown). LW on a college football Saturday is not my type of place, but they poured a nice Guinness and it was $5.25.

From there I walked around the block to see if the Tipsy Clover was really closed. A Valet at El Patio said they were "remodeling." Another person the day before said he heard they hadn't paid their taxes. Bottom line, locked door and so I continued on.

Right next door is a newer place called "Cheers." They have all the makings of nice bar, except not on a big game day. This place was choas, as it was filled with college-aged kids. There was a nicely dressed man at the front door who greeted me and introduced himself as Tim. I assume he was the manager because on the way out I saw him wrestling a giant cigar-store indian as he tried to get it out the door. I decided to brave my way all the way to the back of the bar. I get back there and wouldn't you know it - a plastic cup covered the keg lever. They were out.

From here I went to my last stop of the day, Christian's Tailgate. It was busy, but there was room at the bar. I ordered a pint and smiled when the bartender said "four dollars, please." I'd read all the great write ups about their great hamburgers so I ordered one and enjoyed my beer. The burger was OK, but it was too sloppy and drippy for me. I ended up sitting it down and asking for a fork.
Red Lion
Dude; it's a weak anagram of one of my favorite Tom Clancy character; John Patrick Ryan.

(The Harrison Ford character, later f-ed up by Ben Affleck.)
I'm at the Huey Lewis and the News concert, but I did make the Red Lion tonight. I'll report back later.