going on a cruise

I am going on a cruise next year. I am traveling alone I never been. What do any of you recommend. Anything as what to bring and keep safe. Thanks in advance
have fun!
{I would take a few magazines or a novel to read on "down" times}
love cruising, just got back from one recently.

depends where and when you. just some tips.

bring sea sick medicines, patches, pills, liguid behing ears. just in case.

caribbean-- sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. snorkeling is great. water shoes, walking shoes.
since your alone, travel with groups, not all places safe for a single woman.

excursions are great, sometimes pricey

guide book, phrase book( spanish, etc.)

Hawaii-- pacific can be more rocky than atlantic. Volcanoes fantastic, waterfalls, beaches, amazing sunsets. luau.

Alaska--- warm clothes (no matter time of year), raincoat, binoculars.
More waterfalls than hawaii, ocean is calmer because not going as far away from land, Glacier's ( out of this world). train ride with spectacular views. Whales and wildlife.

Have fun.
  • onei
  • 07-22-2015, 12:59 PM
Personally, I wouldn't go alone for one reason, sharing the adventure with someone of like mind. Talk a friend into going with you and you'll have a great time (and I'm not talking about a "working cruise") - take a genuine friend, male or female, separate cabins or together, and just enjoy yourselves; see the sights and enjoy the adventure.

Have you made plans (booked the cruise) yet?
Where are you sailing to?
How many days?

Depending on the destination and port of departure, you'll spend at least two days where all you will see is water. Once you've roamed around the boat, you'll want something to do. There is plenty of activity on board or you can retreat for quiet time alone.

I never book excursions on board. Instead when I get off I find a taxi waiting just outside the customs area to take me where I want to go. It's usually cheaper, faster and more fun. One time in Guatemala we wanted to go to the waterfalls nearby and afterward we had plenty of time, so we asked the driver to take us to a place to go shopping. We went somewhere well off the beaten path where the locals shop and found some great bargains and had a great time. The driver stayed with us all day for about $50.
I cruise every year and its great. I've even done the hairy man contest and won. Fun. Anyways, pm me for details on what to bring . I'll hook you up. Really )
Make reservations for your excursions separate from the cruise ship and look online for coupons. No wifi that is not super pricy. Wait till you get to the islands to use their free wifi. Love watching movies on the deck on the giant screen, all you can eat food all the time. Dont be afraid to ask for a second lobster tail or steak if you want it at dinner.
Pack plenty of nerd repellant.
Topic not hobby related, moved to proper forum

sixx
Thanks sixx for moving to proper form.

I plan to go alone first time doing something big like this on my own. I am leaving out of new Orleans and have a couple friends who are going but they have their own cabins.
I will be stopping by Cozumel Mexico, Montego bay its a week cruise. My hobby money is going to be my play money for my trip. I am so excited to be going.
Thanks sixx for moving to proper form.

I plan to go alone first time doing something big like this on my own. I am leaving out of new Orleans and have a couple friends who are going but they have their own cabins.
I will be stopping by Cozumel Mexico, Montego bay its a week cruise. My hobby money is going to be my play money for my trip. I am so excited to be going. Originally Posted by Jennatx
I have never been to Montego Bay, but I can vouch for Cozumel. It was so beautiful. I remember getting a massage with my eyes starting at the amazing Yucitan water.

If you've never been to New Orleans, check out the nightlife. It was so fun and the hurricanes from Pat O'Briens fucked me up lol

soxx
Fo' sho,get a Sazerac @ Tujaques!
I have been to new Orleans more then I can count. Did a few ghost tours. I went to bourben street. I can't wait to go back. Went to Cozumel Mexico when I was 19. I never left the resort.
I can't wait to lay out by the pools on deck relax with a good book and a drink.
Cozumel, Grand Caymen, St. Thomas/St. John/St. Maarten - all beautiful places. Columbia was cool, too (didn't make it to the beach there).
From personal experience, pack your favorite cold meds (cough syrup, decongestants, etc.), because the selection on the ship will be limited and grossly overpriced.
Bring some extra Fat Pants. The food is usually great.