Dick Clark - What is your favorite memory?

Dick Clark passed away today at the age of 82.

May he rest in peace.

What is your favorite memory of Dick Clark?

Bandstand? New Years Eve? His mediocre restaurant? Game shows?
AB in the late 60s and 70s when I was introduced to Rock and Roll. Saturday late morning/early afternoon - and the day that they tried to play the theme from Mission: Impossible as the hottest song of the week - no one danced during that song.

First Mike Wallace, then Dick Clark. All the "Dorian Gray" members in the public eye are passing away.
25000 Dollar Pyramid. He'd always come up on stage after someone just lost and have the perfect phrase...then asked if they had fun.

These things come in three's. Who's next? I say Zsa Zsa.
All the countless entertainers that had a chance to be famous from American Bandstand and Dick Clark.
RIP Dick, you will always be remembered
25000 Dollar Pyramid. He'd always come up on stage after someone just lost and have the perfect phrase...then asked if they had fun.

These things come in three's. Who's next? I say Zsa Zsa. Originally Posted by Bartman1963
Robin Gibb - in a coma with pneumonia and liver cancer.
In the early 90's (don't remember the exact year, but thinking it was probably '91-'92), I was on a business trip to Washington, D.C. and had an early morning flight back to KC. I got to the airport early enough that I had time to grab something for breakfast, and they had a McDonald's onsite. So, I got my Egg McMuffin and coffee and grabbed a table, facing away from the counter.

There was a fairly attractive lady sitting at the table next to me, but you could tell she was probably a lot older than she looked, just "well preserved"... She asked where I was flying to, and I told her Kansas City. She said that she and her husband were flying to Kansas City so that her husband could stop off at one of his restaurants in town and then they were flying on to their home in LA.

About that time, her husband approached their table from behind me and set the tray of food on the table with his back still to me. His wife says "honey, this gentleman is flying to Kansas City, too." The man turns around to greet me... and it's Dick Clark! His wife is just like him.. they both look younger than their actual ages...!

Anyways, he was a very nice guy, and we chatted about KC, his AB restaurant, and just general chit-chat at McD's in the morning.

I've had numerous opportunities in my lifetime for "brushes with greatness", and this was a fun one to remember again as I heard of his passing today. For now, Dick Clark, so long...
Robin Gibb - in a coma with pneumonia and liver cancer. Originally Posted by fritz3552
Dick Clark, Andrew Love dead. Robin gibb and Levon Helm on death's door.

In the early 90's (don't remember the exact year, but thinking it was probably '91-'92), I was on a business trip to Washington, D.C. and had an early morning flight back to KC. I got to the airport early enough that I had time to grab something for breakfast, and they had a McDonald's onsite. So, I got my Egg McMuffin and coffee and grabbed a table, facing away from the counter.

There was a fairly attractive lady sitting at the table next to me, but you could tell she was probably a lot older than she looked, just "well preserved"... She asked where I was flying to, and I told her Kansas City. She said that she and her husband were flying to Kansas City so that her husband could stop off at one of his restaurants in town and then they were flying on to their home in LA.

About that time, her husband approached their table from behind me and set the tray of food on the table with his back still to me. His wife says "honey, this gentleman is flying to Kansas City, too." The man turns around to greet me... and it's Dick Clark! His wife is just like him.. they both look younger than their actual ages...!

Anyways, he was a very nice guy, and we chatted about KC, his AB restaurant, and just general chit-chat at McD's in the morning.

I've had numerous opportunities in my lifetime for "brushes with greatness", and this was a fun one to remember again as I heard of his passing today. For now, Dick Clark, so long... Originally Posted by Wizard of Ahhhhs
Cool story. Amazing the people you see/meet in airports.

Wasn't his restaurant at like 110th & Metcalf?
Wasn't his restaurant at like 110th & Metcalf? Originally Posted by BobInKC
It was at I-435 and Metcalf (10975 Metcalf Ave - it was south of I-435 & on the east side of Metcalf). You could see it from the Interstate.
It was at I-435 and Metcalf (10975 Metcalf Ave - it was south of I-435 & on the east side of Metcalf). You could see it from the Interstate. Originally Posted by Jackie Devlin
Thought so. Used to be some nice looking women in there.
Dick Clark, Andrew Love dead. Robin gibb and Levon Helm on death's door.

Cool story. Amazing the people you see/meet in airports.

Wasn't his restaurant at like 110th & Metcalf? Originally Posted by BobInKC
You were correct. Levon Helm passed today.
I went for lunch the day AB opened and Dick came and sat down with us. He explained how he had personally positioned all the pics and memorabilia just the way he wanted. Amazing attention to detail and seemed like a cool guy.
It was at I-435 and Metcalf (10975 Metcalf Ave - it was south of I-435 & on the east side of Metcalf). You could see it from the Interstate. Originally Posted by Jackie Devlin
It was weird how they closed it and then eventually razed the bldg..

Anyway, my favorite memory was when India was posting on Cowtown about a bunch of people meeting at the resturant and JB shows up with his cowboy hat on, sits at the end of the bar and drinks a couple of diet cokes and watches all of the goings on and I guess nobody knows what he looks like. The next day he is posting on Cowtown about all of the people he saw and they are trippin because they couldn't figure out who he was.
I went for lunch the day AB opened and Dick came and sat down with us. He explained how he had personally positioned all the pics and memorabilia just the way he wanted. Amazing attention to detail and seemed like a cool guy. Originally Posted by Fastcar
I've heard quite a few people talking about him and almost every one of them mentions what a good person he was. So many of these people come off as fake but he sounds like the real deal.
I went for lunch the day AB opened and Dick came and sat down with us. He explained how he had personally positioned all the pics and memorabilia just the way he wanted. Amazing attention to detail and seemed like a cool guy. Originally Posted by Fastcar
Did he like your car?

I always liked American Top 40 that used to air on Saturdays...Oh, wait.