FWIW

Just thought I would share an experience that might benefit some here. Now I may be late to the party so if I am the only one that did not know this than I apologize for taking up your time.
Last night I had a conversation with someone and the longer we talked and the more intense the conversation became I realized that if you are on these boards (any type of board I suppose) your PM's are not private. They can be read by administration. I am not sure yet what level of the food chain has access to them but I am thinking all the way down to mods. I could be wrong on that because I'm sure if someone was friends with an Admin they could get the information. The more I pondered the situation the more I realized that the Administration would have access to them. It is their board. So it really comes down to a matter of trust that when they label it Private Message that they can be trusted to keep it private. They can't can't be.
Be careful out there. I would say that if you wanted more information on how I know this to be true to "PM" me but then I might as well post it in open forum. If you want to know more you will have to buy me breakfast.
Always figured mods could read PM's so no big surprise. I don't think they would do it on a constant basis, it would take a lot of time I imagine. I always considered that when I send them. Thanks... BD
2 things DDorkness is known for: "Read your PM's" &

I did not know this.. But also didn't think on it as well.. Another reason I prefer to use my own email.
NOTHING you do on this board is inaccessible by staff. I know because I admin a VB board. It comes down to the trust factor.
an plastic man ...trusts ...our jimmie mods
I did not know this.. But also didn't think on it as well.. Another reason I prefer to use my own email. Originally Posted by Legacy69
NOTHING you do on this board is inaccessible by staff. I know because I admin a VB board. Originally Posted by cculvr69
Yup. Nothing is truly private as far as PMs go, for Admin and Staff on all VB boards. It all depends on how they are setup. If you want to protect your privacy the best use of PMs on all VB boards is for initial contact, then take all further correspondence to your own email.
Edit - Meant to quote legacy, but smart phone with dumb person didn't do it tight.

Good point, but could Eric Snowden be reading them, lol.

Fuck, I have an gubment level le friend that knows i hobby, and said i am being watched along with thousands of others lol, just not important enough. Higher level concerns are underage trafficing. She is sexy and has guns, lol.
2 things DDorkness is known for: "Read your PM's" &

Originally Posted by Carlos Danger
Not looking for sympathy. You can find that between shit and syphilis in the dictionary. Just wasn't sure many knew that the information is accessible. And someone took a little bit of information out of context and and made a little truth into a large lie. Causing me much grief. It is what it is. Just be careful who you trust.
Always figured mods could read PM's so no big surprise. I don't think they would do it on a constant basis, it would take a lot of time I imagine. I always considered that when I send them. Thanks... BD Originally Posted by ben dover
Which is why if I need to make initial contact via the board's PM, I will then ASAP move the conversation to private email.
I will from now on.
Just thought I would share an experience that might benefit some here. Now I may be late to the party so if I am the only one that did not know this than I apologize for taking up your time.
Last night I had a conversation with someone and the longer we talked and the more intense the conversation became I realized that if you are on these boards (any type of board I suppose) your PM's are not private. They can be read by administration. I am not sure yet what level of the food chain has access to them but I am thinking all the way down to mods. I could be wrong on that because I'm sure if someone was friends with an Admin they could get the information. The more I pondered the situation the more I realized that the Administration would have access to them. It is their board. So it really comes down to a matter of trust that when they label it Private Message that they can be trusted to keep it private. They can't can't be.
Be careful out there. I would say that if you wanted more information on how I know this to be true to "PM" me but then I might as well post it in open forum. If you want to know more you will have to buy me breakfast. Originally Posted by FlyboyNY
That's how you are going to leave this???
No deets on who you were talking to?
No deets on who you suspect was reading your PM's???
And then using those pm's against you?
Color me unfulfilled....