Chinese New Year is Saturday, Jan 25, 2020

For those visiting Chinese friends this week, especially on Saturday, remember to say, "Happy New Year" or "Happy Spring Festival". (Vietnamese celebrate this festival, also.) If your so inclined, say, "shin nee-an kwai le". Don't be afraid to butcher it, as the ladies get a good laugh at it.

If you want to give her a gift, a red envelope with $88, eight crisp tens and eight crisp ones, is best. Or, leave a good tip plus the envelope with eight ones. (Eight is the luckiest number.) Party stores often have the envelopes. But, they may be sold out.

Do NOT use a white envelope. White symbolizes death. Four symbolizes death, as well. So, four 20s is bad. Be sure to use both hands, when presenting a gift. And, do not insist that she open it. This is bad luck.

This has been a Public Service Announcement.
Good info, Billo, although I believe that Koreans celebrate lunar new year with white envelopes and the greeting, phonetically spelled, "say hay bok mani padusayo".
Are there any local Asian new year celebrations to go to ?
There's a charity bash at the Renaissance in Addison. Plenty o' rich Chinese MILFs, all gussied up, and lots o' dancing cuties, I suspect. Some of the restaurants put on special events, too.
I thought most Koreans celebrated the New Year on Jan 1. But, chuseok, the harvest festival (Oct 1), is the big.
Chuseok is the equivalent of Thanksgiving. Seollal is the Korean lunar new year that shares the same date as both Tet (Vietnamese) and Xin Nian (Chinese).

Player: The Taiwanese Chamber of Commerce has a fancy dinner and show on Feb. 1 at 6:30pm at the Hyatt Regency in Richardson. Reservations are required.
Thanks for sharing.
  • Mew
  • 01-22-2020, 05:02 PM
Indeed Koreans celebrate Seollal (essentially the beginning of the Korean calendar) derived from the Chinese calendar. It is a three-day holiday where families gather, prepare traditional foods and pay proper tribute to their ancestors. Yes it is very similar to Chuseok but both are separate major holidays.

I would like to wish a Happy New Year to every hard working lady out there. They endure so much just to make a proper living, most always have a positive and cheerful attitude despite the many difficulties they may face. That is indeed something to be grateful for and their presence is to be cherished.

However everyone must be wary and careful of things happening around the globe.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ps-and-a-virus
I just wish them a Happy New Year in Mandarin (Gung Hay Faat Choy) or Vietnamese (Chuc Nam Mung Moi) or Thai (although Thai New Year is in April) (Sawat Dee Bee May Jien)
Almost right, w99. Gung hay faat choy is Cantonese, not Mandarin. Gung xi faat tsai is Mandarin.