The Olympics

OK, so does anyone have any thoughts on the Winter Olympics?

I was impressed with so many, but here's a few.......

Apolo Ohno - 3rd Olympics and still going strong. He has a good outlook on sports.

Bode Miller - Totally turned around his way of thinking and acting. Maybe becoming a father did have a good impact on him.

Joannie Rochette - The strength she has is amazing. She won the hearts of many.

US Hockey Team - Even though they lost the gold medal, they really proved themselves to be a damn good team.

Overall, it was enjoyable to watch what NBC allowed us to watch during normal hours. But, I wasn't impressed with the opening or closing ceremonies. After Bejing, who could really top that?
Having lived in Canada, I thought they did a good job. I was torn over the hockey game. Sad to see the US lose, but I know how much Hockey means in Canada. Although, while Im not positive...that was the first game the US lost...which doesnt make sense having already beaten Canada in the games.

I will say one thing and maybe this is the black helicopter in me, I have a bad feeling about the games being in Russia in 4 years. I just think waaaay too much could go wrong with that.
The only events I watched during the games were curling (which I stopped after the two US teams were eliminated) and the hockey tournament. It was nice that the games in which the US hockey teams were involved all began at 2:00 PM (except for the first US/Canada game). It was also interesting how NBC decided to market the US hockey team after they went through the round-robin undefeated. I think they caught so much grief after putting the first US/Canada game on MSNBC instead of the mothership or USA (each with HD feeds) that they made sure that the remaining US hockey games were shown on NBC. The US men's team did better than expected - they weren't even supposed to medal, let alone go undefeated through the gold medal game. Ryan Miller deserved the MVP vote for the tournament and may challenge Martin Brodeur as not only the best goalie in the world at the present time (depending on how the Sabres do vs. the Devils).
Personally I quit watching the Olympics many years ago. I think its time has come and gone much like the 162 game baseball season. I just cant get into either one.
Hockey gold medal game was epic, but damned if we didn't let those Canucks off the hook in OT. Games almost ended perfectly
I found myself hooked by the bob-sledding, speed skating, and cross country ski events (got tired watching).

The location made it perfect for viewing in the US, live events hit during prime-time in the mid-west. The summer olympics in London will bring us back to tape delays, and already knowing the outcome of events before we watch them
The summer olympics in London will bring us back to tape delays, and already knowing the outcome of events before we watch them Originally Posted by lacrew_2000
I think that will be true EXCEPT for the basketball tournament. I anticipate that the 2012 "Dream Team" will have their games scheduled for 8 PM London/GMT time (2 PM Central) and be shown live on USA Network. The 2008 "Dream Team" games were shown live around 8 AM central time (9 PM Beijing time) on USA, and I believe the London organizers will probably be just as accommodating to NBC.
I hadn't been interested in the games in quite awhile, but these were the best Winter Games I can remember....from the opening ceremonies with the whales crossing the arena floor, to last night and Neil Young singing alone under the flame. By all accounts, the Canadians were wonderful, friendly, and proud hosts. I read stories of people spontaneously singing "Oh Canada" in line at Mc Donald's. Interestingly enough, my favorite event was the Women's Hockey finals. The North American women can really play, and the joy of the Canadian players afterwards was great. I'm sorry it had to end.
Watched every night and loved it, although did not spend much time with the curling.....what's not to like about Shaun White? What a cool cookie, both during the half pipe and after, same on Apollo Ohno...LMAO at Plushenko ,,, what a baby!!! Stupid me left with about a minute left in the hockey final....loved seeing Neil Young in the closing ceremony, did anyone get a positive sense for the next one based on the Russians preview...not exactly uplifting...