Rochester questions (Not hobby/tour related)

So-

My civvie job may be offering me a promotion-- in Rochester.

Any intel, insights, etc about parts of town to live in, where to avoid, etc. are helpful. For reference-- if I accept the job, my position is a remote hybrid-- with office located nearish to RIT.
Fairport has it's own electric. ~1/3 the cost of what the rest of us pay....

https://www.village.fairport.ny.us/d...ment/index.php
Fairport has it's own electric. ~1/3 the cost of what the rest of us pay....

https://www.village.fairport.ny.us/d...ment/index.php Originally Posted by CopterPilot
Ooh-- neat. And from what I'm seeing on Realtor-- home prices aren't too nightmarish, either.
Ooh-- neat. And from what I'm seeing on Realtor-- home prices aren't too nightmarish, either. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
I think they're covered by greenlight networks as well now....

https://www.greenlightnetworks.com/

Cheap electric. Cheap/fast fiber Internet.

If you're looking to be closer to work, Henrietta has decent taxes and pretty much any retail/restaurant you'd need.

If you'd rather more rural, South of RIT - Scottsville, Rush, the further South, the more rural.
Just stay out of the city.
The farther south you go, the lower housing costs are. Several nice villages Geneseo, Avon, Scottsville in area, as well as wide open spaces.
I think it would depend on where you’re working. Commutes aren’t bad but when you can make it less than ten minutes, that’s really nice. 590 and 390 are a pain between 8&9 and 5&6. Downtown can be good, but not everywhere. Park Ave is a nice area and close to activity. There are some nice new apartment buildings right downtown too. I’m in a luxury apartment downtown currently and I do hear a lot of sirens. I like being downtown but it’s not for everyone. I personally wouldn’t recommend Gates or Greece and Webster is too far from
RIT.
Yup. Gates and Greece suck, fer sure. Webster is decent, but yes...far from RIT. Same with Fairport.

If ya want to minimize snow, stay as far South of Lake Ontario as you can. Like Pennsylvania. Seriously, though...the snowfall total in Rochester is measured at the airport, and is around 100 inches per year. I lived in Greece, very near the lake, and got another 30 per year at least. And if you go East along the lake shore...ferget it. You can get 150 inches per year or more. It takes a long time to warm up in the Spring also, the closer to the lake you are. And the wind never stops. Bottom line: unless ya got a nice boat or can afford a house with a nice view, stay the fuck away from Lake Ontario.

Without giving away too much-- the drive time to RIT from my potential work place would be around 5 minutes without traffic. Its just that close.

From what I'm seeing in my research-- I'm leaning heavily towards Livingston County-ish.

Of course, none of this is carved in stone at this point. I've got a list of potential cities I may end up in-- and Rochester is just close to the top, as the cost of living in the area is really comparable to where I am now-- and most of the other cities on the list will result in a serious spike to my cost of living.
taxes are high here though
taxes are high here though Originally Posted by lilylivered
From what I'm seeing-- my state income tax will go up by about 2% in NY. The only significant jump is property taxes-- but I'm a native Texan, so I've seen worse (where Texas is great for income-- its a nightmare for property tax).

There aren't any options on my list of places that are state income tax free aside from Nevada, and I really don't like the thought of living in the Las Vegas metro so that one is out for me.

I can deal with the tax increase in a place where my overall expenses are slightly lower than where I am.
Grace darling, as close to Connecticut as possible please!! (I would gladly help out with the higher cost of living...)
Taxes are one thing but the 11 months of winter will make it all worth while.
Taxes are one thing but the 11 months of winter will make it all worth while. Originally Posted by ben dover
Doesn’t matter where you live, you pay one way or another. There is no free lunch……

elg……
The politics can be hard to take. State is run by Democrats from New York City with virtually no opposition. They do things like ban gasoline cars and gas appliances in a few years, get rid of bail, so criminals are catch-and-release, and pave over real farms with solar farms in a region that’s mostly cloudy. And concealed carry by difficult-to-get permit only.