NASCAR in KC this coming weekend? My trip is this week! I'm thinking of cancelling but I need some advice!!!!

I am planning a trip this coming Thursday to Kansas City and I just found out this morning that there is a NASCAR race going on there this coming weekend.

When I was in town the last time, there were basketball playoffs. The rooms were expensive as a result. Of course, they could just be a bit on the expensive side anyway because of the Plaza. I'm not sure yet. (This would only be my second trip!)

I already have people that I'm CRAVING to see and I'm sitting here at my desk wondering if I should reschedule?

I don't know what to do! And I need some advice, please.

Will there be more of a LE presence this weekend at all? Will the hotels in the Plaza be completely booked up?

I've already called the property where I was located last time and they're at 99% occupancy as of this Monday morning for next weekend.

I'm concerned.

Any input would be appreciated!!!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
  • cynic
  • 04-15-2013, 09:27 AM
Any time there is a big event happening in the KC area, the hotels take the opportunity to price gouge. Somehow, this is legal! Also, most of the local LEOs are looking to arrest out-of-towners because they rarely return to town for court, just send in the fine and down appear...easy money for the criminal crime fighters
This isn't something that's unique to KC. The rates will increase in almost any city if it's hosting a major event.
Yes Elisabeth, in all likelihood the hotels on the Plaza will be booked. Also this is a week to play safely!.......If you wait until the 1st weekend in May, as a added bonus, there will be an art fair in the Brookside area, if you enjoy those type of things.
This isn't something that's unique to KC. The rates will increase in almost any city if it's hosting a major event. Originally Posted by Adeptus32
I understand. But KC is a lot smaller than say ... Dallas. And Dallas will get booked up for major events!

I'm just trying to stay safe and also, keep everything affordable. Plus, this is why I'm asking such sophomoric questions. I'm just not familiar with your area very well.

Still planning on going. Just reconsidering and deciding my options, if I wish to go that direction.

Thanks for the responses thus far!!!

Sincerely,
Elisabeth
Yes Elisabeth, in all likelihood the hotels on the Plaza will be booked. Also this is a week to play safely!.......If you wait until the 1st weekend in May, as a added bonus, there will be an art fair in the Brookside area, if you enjoy those type of things. Originally Posted by growler
Yes. I actually adore those type of activities!!!

There's actually some decently priced hotel rooms right now... just don't wait til last minute to book the room!
And a reminder to everyone, LE will be very active with stings so as always do your homework, screen and tune up your spidy senses.
The races - trucks Saturday and Cup on Sunday are on the KS side, so the KS Troopers and locals will be busy all weekend and the area around the Legends will have traffic jams but that is no place close to the Plaza Ms E. The art event is more likely to create a full house for that area. But early reservations do make it cheaper. So have you done a race in Ft Worth? Ever experience watch cars go at and over 200 miles an hour? You might enjoy listening to the drivers and teams as they circle the track too, never know until you try it once. Glad to have you in the metro. Been a while since I hobby and even longer since I did the deed in the Lone Star state.