ipad????

anyone have any feedback on the ipad is it worth the investment? I am looking for a 3G- is that worth it or is it better to stick with the wifi? Also, anyone have a hook up on getting a deal on one? thankz!
Don't get the 3G one. You are stuck with AT&T for that price and stuck with 3G for that price. Get the WiFI version and you have your choice of service providers with their portable wifi hot spots.

I think they are pretty cool but am more likely to buy the Galaxy Tablet or another android incarnation.
Don't get the 3G one. You are stuck with AT&T for that price and stuck with 3G for that price. Get the WiFI version and you have your choice of service providers with their portable wifi hot spots.

I think they are pretty cool but am more likely to buy the Galaxy Tablet or another android incarnation. Originally Posted by Boltfan
Dead on advice. No 3G. Use the Wi-Fi; hotspots are common enough now that you'll regret having the 3G. Especially the AT&T 3G.

The pads are good enough. Stay with the lower memory unless you don't have other devices for music or this is going to replace your computer.

I think they are pretty cool but am more likely to buy the Galaxy Tablet or another android incarnation. Originally Posted by Boltfan
I agree. Do NOT get the AT&T 3G model. Not only will you be giving more money to that POS company AT&T, but you will suffer from their restrictions on how you use your 3G data (some video streaming apps not allowed).

I use the uncapped Clear WiMax portable hotspot. Works great. Also works for my laptops, all at the same time.

Also, don't buy a Galaxy Tab - yet. It's a great device, but Samsung is using scarcity of iPad alternatives to way overcharge for it. Wait for the price to come down after CES.

Speaking of CES, I have two tablets here on my desk that will be announced there. One is a 7" Korean tablet that is pretty good and half the price of the Galaxy Tab. The other is a KICK-ASS tablet from a mainstream Chinese PC maker with a 10" screen, running Android 2.2 (with Flash 10.1), USB ports and SD memory card slots, front and back cameras, and will sell for a couple of hundred less than the iPad. Choice is coming...

BUT - if you really want an iPad, get one. iPad sets the standard for the category.
thanks for the feedback. That Clear hot spot thing looks pretty cool...I need to look into that.
I've had the iPad since this summer; the WiFi and 3G combo. I originally wanted the WiFi only but the Apple store in Dallas didn't have them, so I bought the 32GB WiFi/3G. I'm glad I did. The WiFi connection is a little faster but, there is no WiFi in a car, on the beach, in the mountains, etc. And if you don't like AT&T 3G, you can connect thru Verizon. Believe the iPad has WAY more apps than the others also. The rates are month-to-month for both so you're not tied in to a long term contract.
Just curious if anybody has tried the Verizon 3G and how it compares to the AT&T version?
There is no Verizon 3G version. You would simply buy the WiFI only version and use one of many carrier's portable hot spot devices (Verizon, Clear, Sprint and now AT&T each have one).

The drawback to buying the WiFi/AT&T3G version is you paid an extra $130 for AT&T's current 3G only. When they upgrade their service speeds you can't get it. If you use WiFi and the portable hotspot you can simply get a new hotspot each year with improved technology and speeds.
There is no Verizon 3G version. You would simply buy the WiFI only version and use one of many carrier's portable hot spot devices (Verizon, Clear, Sprint and now AT&T each have one).

The drawback to buying the WiFi/AT&T3G version is you paid an extra $130 for AT&T's current 3G only. When they upgrade their service speeds you can't get it. If you use WiFi and the portable hotspot you can simply get a new hotspot each year with improved technology and speeds. Originally Posted by Boltfan

Yeah, it's sort of pseudo 3G (MiFi) with Verizon's MiFi 3G router...

http://www.appletell.com/apple/comme...breakaway-com/

Anybody try this with their WiFi only iPad?
AT&T is the best service ever
I use a iPad daily, all functions for this site work except Flash. I use wi-fi only and just drop in Starbucks for free AT&T connection.

It does have limits, but not for email and web surfing.
If someone would buy me an ipad for Christmas and be my personal Santa Claus, you can chain me to the bed post and have your way with me indefinitely.

Well, maybe not that long.

But I would REALLY like one of those playthings.

Elisabeth
  • dolby
  • 12-23-2010, 02:36 AM
I can get ipad iphone 4 and ipod touch for a pretty good price. Brand new ones.

You can pm me if you want to get for cheap like $30-50 off.
I bought the WiFi only. It made sense, strictly because I didn't want to pay the monthly usage fees, knowing I would drop a bundle in the app store and itunes as it was. I only use it for music, games and video, all of which I can upload at my wireless home router, or any wifi. If you need to be connected, go for the 3G, but if you just use the connection for the occaisional (sp?) upload, then WiFi is the way to go.
Speaking of CES, I have two tablets here on my desk that will be announced there. One is a 7" Korean tablet that is pretty good and half the price of the Galaxy Tab. The other is a KICK-ASS tablet from a mainstream Chinese PC maker with a 10" screen, running Android 2.2 (with Flash 10.1), USB ports and SD memory card slots, front and back cameras, and will sell for a couple of hundred less than the iPad. Choice is coming...

BUT - if you really want an iPad, get one. iPad sets the standard for the category. Originally Posted by Lust4xxxLife
I believe the ones you mention are from BenQ (Chinese) and Imagine TAB (Korean). Word is Motorola will debut a Android 3.0 based tablet at CES as well. I personally would go for and Android 3.0 based Tablet since 3.0 is optimized for tablets whereas 2.2 is not. I've read that a Motorola 10* screen version will have a dual-core CPU.
My Ipad was a gift given to me that I did not exspect and was apprehensive about when I first received it. I use mine every day and love it. It is true it does not work with flash, but I am hoping they will come up with an app at some point for it.

As SP stated, for web browsing and email it is great. I have a hard bound leather case on mine and take it every where with me. I did not buy the apple case for it but one that seems a bit more durable to me.