Electric Vehicles

Does anyone drive an all electric car? How is the experience?
Does anyone drive an all electric car? How is the experience? Originally Posted by Kana Asuka
Might be a better question to ask during the December - February time frame!
You will go through tires 3 times as fast due to the weight of the vehicle.
I have 2 tesla and love it
Don't own one but have used them. Had the exclusive use of one out in CA for three weeks in June a couple years ago while dog/house sitting. Had to drive 15 minutes to the nearest supercharger, apartment did not have any type of charger. Usually had to wait at least 10 minutes for one of 12 superchargers. Took up to 45 minutes to charge fully. One time, I was down to less than 40 miles, went in to charge. Waited 35 minutes to get a charging station, then it took 45 minutes to get to 90%. Also, Newsome had rolling blackouts going on and signs were up on the highway and on the radio and tv not to charge EVs during 2:00 pm to 8:00 p.m. That being said, the cars are nice, great ride, gets from 0-60 quickly (while depleting battery quicker), but range is an issue. Do not take on cross country trips, here to NYC would take 18 charging sessions per the Tesla estimator on their site and routing. Great to have as a second or third car for around town or short day trips...

It is expensive to replace batteries and if you are doing this to reduce your carbon footprint, the car itself and the way the energy is produced for your charging makes it a larger footprint than conventional cars. Go hybrid if you are considering, according to many experts...
One here in Florida caught fire and did $ 1 million Dollars damage to a home. It was Mercedes loaner from the dealer because her car was broken.
Not real good for long trips. I couldn't find a extension cord long enough for me. LOL
When I am on the road I seldom see one
When I am on the road I seldom see one Originally Posted by hounddog
Since I’ve been in Florida I’ve seen 6 on the side of the road burned out totally.
Here's my thoughts on EVs....
I'll buy horses first.
Oh wait, in the barn in that tumbleweed state.
Don't own one but have used them. Had the exclusive use of one out in CA for three weeks in June a couple years ago while dog/house sitting. Had to drive 15 minutes to the nearest supercharger, apartment did not have any type of charger. Usually had to wait at least 10 minutes for one of 12 superchargers. Took up to 45 minutes to charge fully. One time, I was down to less than 40 miles, went in to charge. Waited 35 minutes to get a charging station, then it took 45 minutes to get to 90%. Also, Newsome had rolling blackouts going on and signs were up on the highway and on the radio and tv not to charge EVs during 2:00 pm to 8:00 p.m. That being said, the cars are nice, great ride, gets from 0-60 quickly (while depleting battery quicker), but range is an issue. Do not take on cross country trips, here to NYC would take 18 charging sessions per the Tesla estimator on their site and routing. Great to have as a second or third car for around town or short day trips...

It is expensive to replace batteries and if you are doing this to reduce your carbon footprint, the car itself and the way the energy is produced for your charging makes it a larger footprint than conventional cars. Go hybrid if you are considering, according to many experts... Originally Posted by kcpitchreader
Amen. See thats the thing that makes ZERO sense. People keep saying its the thing for carbon footprint, save the earth, yadayada. So just where is ALL this electricity going to come from if major user states like Cali go to only selling EV's? We're already having major issues keeping up with the demand for electricity as "the earth warms".NO ONE from these politico's is explaining just where we are going to get the electricity, or just what exactly will be the evironmental cost long term of having to create double or triple or more the amount of available electricity. What is the cost of replacing these batteries? Who's going to pay for the extra road destruction because EV's weigh 1500 to 2000lbs more then gas vehicles. The states who rely on gas taxes for road repairs are screwed because EV owners don't buy gas, which removes a major source of funding for road repairs. Once again we've got the cart so far in front of the horse on this very important issue.
Cart in front of a horse....
Exactly.
I've done several analysis for fleet conversions and it depends.
The entire cost, vehicle, battery replacement, maint, life cycle in mileage, etc. of EV vs gas has to be taken down to a pennies per mile calc.
Also when to recharge, recharge equip etc included.
Have to look at transport load for type of vehicle.
Except for short haul local delivery, gas wins every time.
And btw, alternative fuel like natural gas comes in 1st for local delivery.
So yes, I'm sticking with horses as my alternative.
The feds are so short sighted.
The difference between a regular is when the regular car breaks down you call a Tow Truck.
When a EV breaks you call a Fire Truck and a Tow Truck after the fire goes out.
Traded in my first EV for my second last year. Been driving one since 2012. Employer has provided free chargers. Other than the purchase price, I bought one set of tires. The originals went 70k. The second set had close to that when traded. It's hard to guess how much in maintenance was saved. Brake rotors were rusting because brakes are rarely used in an EV, but they lasted 10 years. Saved about $1800 per year in energy costs alone, based on the gas vehicle I was driving.

The experience driving an EV was awesome. Never got used to the quietness. Loved passing Mustangs or Chargers off the line... silently.

During those 10 years, EV sales were less than 1%. The next 10 years will see exponential growth. I don't see the US keeping up with the infrastructure with our broken government. The car companies will install enough chargers in homes and public spaces, but the grid won't keep the pace and will suffer. EVs are the right way to go, but congress will have to get off their ass. You can expect electricity costs to go up, and gas/oil prices to level off or even drop in the years ahead. Will be interesting, hold on tight.
You are so wrong if you think EV are the right thing. First of all the reduction of our carbon footprint is so small it is nonessential. Do the research

https://manhattan-institute.us4.list...4&e=ee0a146362