Trump has 91% chance of winning second term, professor’s model predicts

BAHHAAAA

Trump has 91% chance of winning second term, professor’s model predicts

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-91-...213913320.html

Louise Hall
July 8, 2020, 4:39 PM

Getty Images

President Donald Trump has a 91 per cent chance of winning the November 2020 election, according to a political science professor who has correctly predicted five out of six elections since 1996.

“The Primary Model gives Trump a 91 percent chance of winning in November,” Stony Brook professor Helmut Norpoth told Mediaite on Tuesday.

Mr Norpoth told the outlet that his model, which he curated in 1996, would have correctly predicted the outcome for 25 of the 27 elections since 1912, when primaries were introduced.

The model calculates the winning candidate based on early presidential nominating contests and placing an emphasis on how much enthusiasm candidates are able to generate early in the nominating process, the professor said.

“The terrain of presidential contests is littered with nominees who saw a poll lead in the spring turn to dust in the fall,” Mr Norpoth said.

If the prediction is correct, former vice president Joe Biden is placed at a severe disadvantage due to losses in his party’s first two presidential nominating contests in Iowa and New Hampshire.

The professor also said the model, which predicted Mr Trump’s election in 2016, worked partially by discounting opinion surveys.

“Polls and poll-based forecasts all handed Hillary Clinton a certain victory,” he said.

The prediction comes as a number other election models have suggested that Mr Trump will lose to Mr Biden as a result of a number of factors including the ongoing pandemic.

A national election model by Oxford Economics has predicted that Donald Trump will suffer a “historic defeat” in November’s election due to the coronavirus economic recession.

The Oxford model predicted the winner of the popular vote in 16 of the past 18 elections and presented a complete reversal of its prediction before the coronavirus outbreak hit the US.

Another forecast by The Washington Post preliminarily predicted Mr Trump will receive only 24 percent of the electoral college votea, but only on the condition that the economy and the president’s approval rating continues its downward trajectory.

However in Mr Norpoth’s model, not only will the president be re-elected, but he will expand his margin in the electoral college from 304 electoral votes in 2016 to 362 in 2020.

The one thing many predictions seem to agree on is that the election could rest crucially on Mr Trump’s leadership of the US through the coronavirus pandemic and mitigating the public health crisis’s impact on the economy in the upcoming months before November.

I wouldn't trust forecast models, as they tend to be inaccurate. I suppose it provides some kind of extrapolated behavior that could suggest a possible future event, though.

Originally Posted by matchingmole

this is your "savior" .. good luck with that ..

BAHHAHHAAAAAA
The one thing many predictions seem to agree on is that the election could rest crucially on Mr Trump’s leadership of the US through the coronavirus pandemic and mitigating the public health crisis’s impact on the economy in the upcoming months before November. Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
This is common sense. Don't need a math model and a PhD to figure that out. COVID-19 is T R U M P kryptonite. Even if you want to argue that he's done a good job, the numbers are hard to ignore. His re-election will depend almost entirely on whether or not his hunches on the corona virus turn out to be correct or not. It's a pretty big gamble. I think T R U M P has done a great job otherwise, but this virus could crush him and our economy.

The daily total of new infections has risen roughly 240% as well as the death count. If we keep the death count low, things will be back to normal in no time, but we still don't know what is going to happen. If deaths sky rocket, T R U M P and our great country will be in a dire situation.

I recommend H Y D R O X Y C H L O R O Q U I N E with Z I N C.

this is your "savior" .. good luck with that ..

BAHHAHHAAAAAA Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid

Great luck with that...when his opponent is this ...

Great luck with that...when his opponent is this ...

Originally Posted by matchingmole

so you are saying the best the LEFT could do is a matchup of morons .. depending on who you ask.

well done, Captain!

BAHHAAHAAA
I think it’s higher than 91%
I wouldn't trust forecast models, as they tend to be inaccurate. I suppose it provides some kind of extrapolated behavior that could suggest a possible future event, though.
Originally Posted by yitzchak
It is another data point to take into consideration.

Another data point is the fact that since approval ratings started under Truman no POTUS running for reelection has won with a negative approval rating - GHW Bush and Carter. Today's summation of approval ratings by 538? Trump is at -15.8%, lowest since Janurary 2019.

And the last paragraph in the article is rather important:

"The one thing many predictions seem to agree on is that the election could rest crucially on Mr Trump’s leadership of the US through the coronavirus pandemic and mitigating the public health crisis’s impact on the economy in the upcoming months before November."

67& of the people polled in this country disapprove of Trump's handling of the coronavirus.

Evaluation of Trump's oversight of the COVID-19 crisis reached a new low since ABC News/Ipsos began surveying on the coronavirus in March, with 67% disapproving of his efforts. One-third of the country approves of the president's oversight of the pandemic.

In the newest poll, which was conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos’ Knowledge Panel, Trump's approval rating on his job dealing with the coronavirus dropped another rung, driven by plunging support among independents and even waning support among Republicans. Democrats have always been highly skeptical.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/broa...ry?id=71704889

So it all depends on whom you want to believe. Obviously Trump supporters will grasp at the one straw that supports their POV.
Other than 2016 I can't think of another time when your polls don't mean jack shit more.

The silent majority is silent for a reason.
It is another data point to take into consideration.

Another data point is the fact that since approval ratings started under Truman no POTUS running for reelection has won with a negative approval rating - GHW Bush and Carter. Today's summation of approval ratings by 538? Trump is at -15.8%, lowest since Janurary 2019.

And the last paragraph in the article is rather important:

"The one thing many predictions seem to agree on is that the election could rest crucially on Mr Trump’s leadership of the US through the coronavirus pandemic and mitigating the public health crisis’s impact on the economy in the upcoming months before November."

67& of the people polled in this country disapprove of Trump's handling of the coronavirus.

Evaluation of Trump's oversight of the COVID-19 crisis reached a new low since ABC News/Ipsos began surveying on the coronavirus in March, with 67% disapproving of his efforts. One-third of the country approves of the president's oversight of the pandemic.

In the newest poll, which was conducted by Ipsos in partnership with ABC News using Ipsos’ Knowledge Panel, Trump's approval rating on his job dealing with the coronavirus dropped another rung, driven by plunging support among independents and even waning support among Republicans. Democrats have always been highly skeptical.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/broa...ry?id=71704889

So it all depends on whom you want to believe. Obviously Trump supporters will grasp at the one straw that supports their POV. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Since we are not finished with the "crisis" polls and opinions mean very little. Kind of like asking fans about their Super Bowl victory in the third quarter of the game.
Since we are not finished with the "crisis" polls and opinions mean very little. Kind of like asking fans about their Super Bowl victory in the third quarter of the game. Originally Posted by the_real_Barleycorn
Do you HONESTLY think that people's opinion of Trump's handling of the coronavirus will change between today and election day? Trump is done with his involvment for the most part and has passed the torch to Pence. Trump keeps saying the coronavirus is going away. Not sure what statistics he is looking at.
Other than 2016 I can't think of another time when your polls don't mean jack shit more.

The silent majority is silent for a reason. Originally Posted by gfejunkie
In 2018 they were near perfect.

In 2016 the only poll at the state level that was glaringly incorrect was in Wisconsin.

You could be right in that we will see another 2016. On the other hand, Trump never trailed Clinton in the polls by as wide a margin as Trump currently trails Biden.

I said before - Trump needs something to change the status quo. He was a fairly unknown quanitity in 2016 and now he is not. You think that will not hurt him and I think it will. If you are correct, I will congratulate you and others on your prediction of a Trump victory.
In 2018 they were near perfect.

In 2016 the only poll at the state level that was glaringly incorrect was in Wisconsin.

You could be right in that we will see another 2016. On the other hand, Trump never trailed Clinton in the polls by as wide a margin as Trump currently trails Biden.

I said before - Trump needs something to change the status quo. He was a fairly unknown quanitity in 2016 and now he is not. You think that will not hurt him and I think it will. If you are correct, I will congratulate you and others on your prediction of a Trump victory. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Yes, something dramatic needs to change to get things moving in Trump's direction.

America desperately needs to stop the DPST's from doing to America what they have done to the ghetto areas of the big cities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3oXOMlLBdw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4r0mzeLDqA

Notwithstanding all the violence, one of the skinny girls in the video was very pretty - I would rescue her!
  • oeb11
  • 07-10-2020, 08:24 AM
OBLM terrorists with Molotov cocktails deserve hot lead - not mace.