Suggestions On The Best Cities In California?

I'm planning to visit "somewhere" in California this summer so would like to hear some suggestions/advice on the best places to visit, pros and cons of different areas, etc.

Any and all advice is appreciated....

Thanks,
Sarah
Without a doubt, San Francisco! It's in the center of everything. Down the coast you have Carmel, the Hearst Castle, San Simeon, and the coast highway. Inland, National Parks, Sequoia and Yellowstone. Just across the Golden Gate you have the Napa and Sonoma Valleys, some of the finest wine country in the world, lots of samples available......and if you have a desire for games of chance, Reno is just across the border from Lake Tahoe about 6 hours from SF.

"hasta la vista, baby"...........Arnold Schwarzenegger, Governator
Jet Blue has some very good prices for direct flight to San Francisco from Austin. I agree with Chainsaw, worked in San Fran for years. You can base in the city yet head south to Monterrey on the Pacific Coast Highway, Carmel, etc.

Head North into Wine Country, beautiful drive, or head over to the Russian River Valley, beautiful coastal scenery, parks, quaint little towns to stop in for fresh produce, picnic lunches, etc.

All within a days drive. I will have a hotel for a week in the city, yet find a nice hotel in Monterrey or Carmel and overnight sometimes.
Without a doubt, San Francisco! It's in the center of everything. Down the coast you have Carmel, the Hearst Castle, San Simeon, and the coast highway. Inland, National Parks, Sequoia and Yellowstone.
Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist

Uhhh.... YELLOWSTONE?????

Yosemite, perhaps?

Yosemite, perhaps? Originally Posted by GneissGuy

LMAO yeah I think that he has his states mixed up. And Sarah both Chainsaw and runswithscissors gave you some good suggestions as far as San Fran is concerned. Might I also suggest San Diego and the La Jolla area. Many many things to do in this area such as Balboa Park and of course the San Diego Zoo. A trip over to Coronado is also a must. If you like the nightlife then a trip down to the Gaslamp District is also a must. Whereever you end up will be a nice time. One of my kids attended Stanford so I do miss going to San Fran since they graduated.
Good selections all! I love the La Jolla area near San Diego and San Fran is nice, but for me it is only an airport close to the wine country. Yountville is a very cool place and there are some great deals for places to stay on homeaway.com. If you want to really go "whole hog", La Auberge is a fabulous resort and just outside Yountville. My boss just got back and he had a great time.
San Fran...where I grew up as a kid. Without a doubt, good starting point. Take the Hwy 1 tour drive to Carmel. I miss that perfect weather.
I appreciate the suggestions, guys, and I think I will DEFINITELY visit San Francisco, along with the rest of California, but am leaning towards San Diego for a long-term visit...seems more my style!

Thanks again!

Sarah

Yosemite, perhaps? Originally Posted by GneissGuy
My bad....at least I got the "Y" right! I really intended to say Yosemite, only missed by about three states.
Combined, I've probably spent 20-25 years in the Yay Area (say that instead of Bay Area, and "Frisco" or "The City" instead of San Fran and you'll sound like a local) and San Diego.

Hate LA, but it's for some people.

San Diego: Seaworld can be fun and the zoo is awesome if you've got at all a lil nerd inside you.

Beaches: Coronado is pristine with high end hotels to relax/drink at, La Jolla shores is very nice, and Pacific or Mission beach is where the younger, dirtier, "surf bum" crowds are.

Get you some seafood, In & Out, and baja mexican food while you're there. PM me if you want nice specific places to eat (esp sushi)
  • PeAcH
  • 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM
I was born and raised in Southern CA! I love it! (I know.. I'm not a native Texan! Oh noes!) heheh

I absolutely loved Orange County, Oceanside, and San Diego.
Mostly for the beaches, plus the pier walks, whale watches, and San Diego for the Zoo and Wild Animal Park. They've all got great hotels and plenty to do! And wonderful food!

Oh Inn -n- Out.. how I miss your delicious goodness...
and Tommy's! Their Chili cheese fries are so yummie!

Santa Barbara.
LMAO A trip over to Coronado is also a must. . Whereever you end up will be a nice time. One of my kids attended Stanford so I do miss going to San Fran since they graduated. Originally Posted by OneHotMale

My brother was in the Navy (at Coronado Beach) back in the 80's and my dad was in the Marines (at Oceanside) so we spent some time down on that end of Cali in San Diego,and along the coastline back up to LA. It is awfully nice.
My youngest child was born with complications so she spent the first 2 weeks of her life at Stanford Medical University Pediatric Unit so yeah San Jose/ San Fransisco is pretty cool also. You gotta be in shape to live in the "City" though, those hills will wear you out, for real! If your'e into the "nature" and outdoor-sy stuff then Ukiah Calif (went to private school there YUCK ) is the place. Its about 100 miles north of SF. Ok I'm tired of all this traveling

Onehotmale, get with me....
I was born and raised in Southern CA!
and Tommy's! Their Chili cheese fries are so yummie!

Originally Posted by PeAcH
Don't you mean SoCal?

Tommy's...that was my "aint gonna move for 2 hours after eating" joint. A bottle of cheap bubbly and chili cheese dog/burger/fries.

But if in SD and need dirty post-party food, can't beat Robertos and their Carne Asada Fries. I wish we had that here...
  • PeAcH
  • 05-27-2010, 02:03 PM
Oh yes! Santa Barbara! I love their zoo, it is small, but lovely!

Gotta go on Sunday for the Art Fair on the beach after you visit the zoo.