best way to catch a kitten

I discovered a kitten last night in my yard. it ran and hid underneath this old garage, it comes out from time to time and i have set food but it runs from me. any ideas on the best way to trap it? just want to find it a home or take to TLAC....... im always chasing the puss lol

sixx
rub peanut butter all over you body and lay outside, it doesn't just work on dogs, take it from an informed citizen
Aside from getting one of those humane traps like they use to catch feral cats for spaying or neutering...

In the long run, the best way to get a cat to get comfortable around you is to just act like you don't care. If you keep putting food out, once he gets used to coming out to eat, just kind of hang around nearby while he eats.

Get closer and closer over the course of several meals and before long he shouldn't mind you as much, at which point you might be able to offer delicious treats like tuna. A couple of bites of that and he should start to understand that you're an alright guy.
Aside from getting one of those humane traps like they use to catch feral cats for spaying or neutering...

In the long run, the best way to get a cat to get comfortable around you is to just act like you don't care. If you keep putting food out, once he gets used to coming out to eat, just kind of hang around nearby while he eats.

Get closer and closer over the course of several meals and before long he shouldn't mind you as much, at which point you might be able to offer delicious treats like tuna. A couple of bites of that and he should start to understand that you're an alright guy. Originally Posted by Shmafty
thanks..... i have a couple of older doggies (dauschand and dox/chihauahua mix). if i had no dogs i would want to catch it so i could get it some shots at least. i will go to HEB in the morning. all i had was some bologna......... lol kitten prolly thinks im a prick lol
  • PSD
  • 05-31-2010, 02:52 AM
Heya Sixx,

I had an issue recently with some feral cats getting in my attic. I called the local animal control office here and they loaned me a live-catch trap for free! I put a bowl in it with some tuna and the very first night I caught the male I'd seen coming and going. Few nights later, caught another male I had never seen. Now I wanna keep the trap for a while! lol

Anyway, call animal control, they'll usually help you out...

PSD
  • 05-31-2010, 07:46 AM
If I felt like brushing a husky and she didn't want to get brushed I'd put a dab of peanut butter on the wall about snoot level; it would hold her full attention and she wouldn't even really notice me or the brush.
open a can of tuna
Tuna is hit or miss: the smell really draws some cats but others don't care for it. And it's actually not very good for kittens.

I 2nd PSD: get a humane trap. You can bait it with any fragrant meat you have in the fridge, or just a saucer of milk.

Also, if you're still leaving out treats/food before you get a chance to trap it, put it next to an old sock or something of yours so it associates your scent with a positive interaction.

GL!
Tuna is hit or miss: the smell really draws some cats but others don't care for it. And it's actually not very good for kittens.

I 2nd PSD: get a humane trap. You can bait it with any fragrant meat you have in the fridge, or just a saucer of milk.

Also, if you're still leaving out treats/food before you get a chance to trap it, put it next to an old sock or something of yours so it associates your scent with a positive interaction.

GL! Originally Posted by smokeswithwolves
thank you smokeswithwolves and others who have given advice.... i am going to get a humane trap from this lady i know at work who has trapped strays to get them spayed and neutered where i work. the kitty sure liked the tuna i fed it with earlier today. once, i get the trap, it will be caught. sure wish i could keep it but my doggies would not like that
Borrow a friend's mutt. You don't want a pure bred pretty AKC type. What you need is sometimes referred to as a "junk yard dog". Something that understands the price for a kitten/cat is a few scratches and takes pride in them.

Now if you want the kitten taken alive, then the mutt should be at least 30% retriever and preferable one that someone has already trained to "bring it here" and "drop it". Otherwise negotiations can get a little messy...

Seriously, kittens are like most juveniles, food driven. Lure them with fresh food (throw away any lures after an hour), and have loads of patience (i.e., take is slowly). After a few days (ok, weeks... ok, months) you'll be surprised with a cat climbing up your leg for some attention... and between exclamations and stitches, wonder why you didn't just get a dog...

Spend some time with it. Even though it does not come over to you right now it will eventually. Kittens need TIME to get to know you. Be sure your dogs cannot get to it. Do not feed it tuna. A kitten needs lots of nutrients. Feed it Purina kitten chow or IAMS. Do NOT feed it Meow Mix or store brand kibble. Be sure and give it plenty of fresh water so it will not get dehydrated in this heat.

Good Luck.
I love cats, but I can never eat a whole one.
"Something that understands the price for a kitten/cat is a few scratches and takes pride in them.

Now if you want the kitten taken alive, then the mutt should be at least 30% retriever and preferable one that someone has already trained to "bring it here" and "drop it". Otherwise negotiations can get a little messy... "

HAHAHAHAHAHAA! That is hysterical!!!! Seriously Sixx, you are a sweetheart for catching him. You will have no trouble once you get your hands on a trap. Best of luck to you!!! If it is a Tortoisshell, let me know.
One thing I think worth mentioning, is you don't have a lot of time. Feral cats can not be domesticated after a certain age. I will have to look but I think it is 5 or 6 weeks. At this point nothing you do will be able to get the cat to the point where it could be a pet.

Once you trap it, if you take it to a shelter they will be able to tell whether or not it has gone to the dark side or not. If it has, they should just spay/neuter it and release it.
lay out 2 100 dollar bills... youll be suprised how fast that pussy comes to you, if it has a computer it will probably even pm you