eggs in one basket

Whoever was in charge of the mission in Afgan. that resulted in the high number of US deaths ( Chinook Helo crash ) should have his ass kicked. Why did they not use several helos rather than putting all of the contingent in one ? These dumb ass fuckups make me want to cry.
I agree. It seems like an incredible oversight.
I can see it both ways. More helicopters, more targets, more to go wrong, higher profile, greater chance of being seen.

Fewer helicopters, higher price is something does go wrong.

One presumes that they know more about the comparative risks than we do.

One presumes that they know more about the comparative risks than we do. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
For once we agree.

I would also venture to guess that every single fact of the mission has not been disclosed for public consumption. A tragedy to be sure but a fuck up? I must defer to the 4 stars versus the armchair generals.
Probably because they were going in on a rescue mission and more choppers would bring way too much heat.
I can see it both ways. More helicopters, more targets, more to go wrong, higher profile, greater chance of being seen.

Fewer helicopters, higher price is something does go wrong.

One presumes that they know more about the comparative risks than we do. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
They didn't go in Bin Laden's compound with only one heli. Never assume the military is making the best decisions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti military, on the contrary, I fully support them. I just think when a mistake is made whoever was responsible should be held accountable, without using any scapegoats. I know mistakes happen in "the heat of battle" but this was going to the battle. Hope we , they, learned something from this.
They didn't go in Bin Laden's compound with only one heli. Never assume the military is making the best decisions. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti military, on the contrary, I fully support them. I just think when a mistake is made whoever was responsible should be held accountable, without using any scapegoats. I know mistakes happen in "the heat of battle" but this was going to the battle. Hope we , they, learned something from this. Originally Posted by JohnBoyjrh
I thought I read that this was the return flight from the engagement. In any case, doesn't really matter. I'm sure the incident will be reviewed and will influence future missions appropriately.
If there was only one heli, how did they track down the insurgents so quickly? Nobody said there was only one heli did they? Only that one heli got blown up. So happens it was a large, heavily loaded, slow moving one...
how did they track down the insurgents so quickly? Originally Posted by TallGuy6
As previously stated, they were coming to the aid of a team of soldiers engaged in a firefight. So my guess would be they radioed in for help?