Visiting London!

I have an awesome opportunity to leave the states for a few days to visit Cambridge & London. I can't wait to go!

I'd love some ideas of the arts & exhibits, antiquities & historical places, beautiful scenery, yummy food, frivolous shopping and enjoying life in general.

Thanks!
lots of museums, remember England is what 1000 years old and US is only 200 years. Tower of London. A must see is Churchill's underground HQ's. If you like ice in your drinks, forget it. Great threaters
Tower of London is great fun. St. Pauls Cathedral for the beauty and enormity of the structure.
London Symphony and Covent Garden for opera give world class concerts. If you like art, London has great museums, and some smallish theatres perfect for musicals.
Have fun and tell us all about it when you return.
I have an awesome opportunity to leave the states for a few days to visit Cambridge & London. I can't wait to go!

I'd love some ideas of the arts & exhibits, antiquities & historical places, beautiful scenery, yummy food, frivolous shopping and enjoying life in general.

Thanks! Originally Posted by Shea Veile
As of now, and for the next few minutes, I hate you. But soon, that feeling will subside. Have a great time!

Elisabeth
Didn't Nicole Preston move to that area recently? You could try reaching her or possibly Heather Winston. Perhaps they stay in contact and could offer you current suggestions. Just a thought.
Harrods.....very cool place to shop. Picadilly circus is fun walk about, good shopping also. Nelsons column, the tower, changing of the gaurd.....all that stuff.

Great place to see a play if you have time.
Great people watching -- and good rendezvous point for friends.

Enjoy!

(but don't expect the food experience to be too exciting . . .)

Flyer
Local and neighborhood Pubs for a chance at local flavor ......dont need to get bombed .....but meeting the locals can be interesting ....BUT enjoy your trip and experience ..and education ..and have all of those fabulous stories to tell upon your return .T
Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace 11:30AM. Avoid the crowd. As you stand facing the palace walk to the left 500 yards to Wellington Barracks on Birdcage Walk. One hour before the change, The Guard undergoes inspection here before they march to the Palace. It is much more impressive and not swarmed by tourists.

London Walks. check their website. They offer guided tours that are excellent. They meet at the entrance to various Tube (subway) stations. Very reasonable price and they are led by historians and actors. I highly recommend the Jack The Ripper Walk late night.

In Mayfair district: Brown's hotel for Tea, Fortnum & Mason where he majesty shops and lunches with friends, St James Palace for an up close view of a Palace Guard on sentry duty (you can pose for a photo--he is not suppose to show any emotion but pretty ladies often draw a quick smile), Saville Row-famous British tailors where you would find the James Bond type shopping.

At night, Piccadilly Circus (our version of Times Square) , walk the Thames River by Westminister (seat of our government), St Paul's Cathedral.

Trafalgar Square: National Gallery (one of the world's best collections of great masters, walk down the street toward Whitehall and you can see the mounted Horse Guards doing sentry duty.

British Museum: Egyptian section--Elgin Marbles from the Parthenon, Rosetta stone--which unlocked the key to Egyptian and the history of other civilizations.

Tower of London-at least a half day visit.

Use the Tube. It's inexpensive, fast, and convenient.
The best tourist guide for Yanks is Rick Steves, London--available at Barnes & Nobles.

This only scratches the surface of London. Be sure to try out a Pub.

Tally Ho!!
What others have said, plus --

Portabello Road Market for a bit of everything

Riding on the top of a double decker tour bus is good, and you can see a lot.

A play in one of the smaller theaters, which are much more intimate than most of the big places here.

One could spend years in London and never be bored.
Alright. It's official. I'm jealous. I was supposed to go to that place last Spring and it didn't happen. I'm frigging POUTING! I know, uncool. Maybe I should ask Shea to get me a damn kitschy magnet for my fridge. Jeez!!!

As far as suggestions, isn't that famous wax museum there? It seems like a place that would probably scare the crap out of me seeing those wax figures. Madame Troussand's? Something like that? Or do I have the wrong city? Regardless, eat some shepard pie. Then at least I can chuckle that you had to deal with the food.

I need a spanking for this post. Really, I'm not breaking a Biblical commandment. I don't covet your trip, Shea. I just think that you should take me along with you. I do have a current passport.

Elisabeth
I am not a fan of the British or visiting Great Britain. The people are pompus ass group. The men treat women like slaves, yes slaves. The weather is horrible, and when its does get hot, most places including nice hotels have no air conditioning. The food is bland, and they drink room temperature ale and beer. And women dont shave in most areas. Have fun!!!!
Having lived in England and travel extensively throughout Great Britain, I do not have the same opinion as bigbob. Yes they are different, but I like the people. London is a very expensive city to live in or visit. Queen's Knight gave a great sightseeing list. I always like to take a riding tour my first day in the city. It's a great way to get an overview of the city, and it's something easy on the first day when you are recovering from jetlag. There is a tour on a double decker bus that I like. Upper level if the weather is good and lower level if it's cold and rainy.

If it wasn't for the British in the early days of WWII we might all be speaking German. They paid a terrible price.

Pub food is a reasonable alternative to a restaurant.
Slowmover I can appreciate your information on London, I spent time there as a member of the US Army and found the people quite different.

But I also have to disagree with your comment regarding the British and WWII. The United States started Lend Lease, sent massive amounts of food and supplies, ships, planes and a few "civilians" to help out the British before the US actually joined the war. If it were not for the US and its massive aid to the British, then Great Britain along with Russia would have collapsed and ended the war. There was no way the Germans or the Japanese could have ever invaded the lower 48 United States.
Keep the discussion on the OP topic not a discussion who won the war...