Food threads

Here or in a previous life, I can't recall ever seeing any food threads in Upstate NY. I'm planning my first ever trip to the Buffalo/Rochester area in a few months and I'm just curious. Is there a "National food of New York"?

Here in Texas we have plenty... Tex-Mex, BBQ, chicken fried steak. I've heard of 'beef on weck' and of course, Buffalo wings, but what else have you got? What should I try? Hots? Red, white, gray? New York style pizza? Any favorite restaurants I shouldn't miss? Help me. Please?

gfe
Gfe, Buffalo chicken wings and beef on weck are two "native" cuisines.

I plan to post something about a TV program on wings battle later tonight.
Any favorite restaurants I shouldn't miss? Help me. Please?

gfe Originally Posted by gfejunkie
The 'Y'.

You must eat at the 'Y'.

Only a Texan would write Buffalo and say Buffalo Wings belong to Texas.

I say that with love since my daddy's a Texan.
The 'Y'.

You must eat at the 'Y'.

Only a Texan would write Buffalo and say Buffalo Wings belong to Texas.

I say that with love since my daddy's a Texan. Originally Posted by NormalBob
Bob, I've been DATY for as long as I can remember. LOL

BTW, I said I'd heard of the wings in Buffalo, but didn't say they belong to Texas at all. I would never claim a New York original. (Unless I liked her!)

gfe
I misread your post.

You ought to be able to find some good Italian and of course, some Greek.
Gfe, depending on your taste, this "Best of Buffalo" list might help: http://artvoice.com/issues/v8n19/bes...uffalo_winners
Garbage plate at Nick Tahou's or Steve T's in Rochester.
  • GP
  • 03-08-2010, 10:23 PM
When visiting Buffalo, be sure not to call them Buffalo Wings. We just call them wings or "chicken wings". That is a SURE giveaway your not from these parts. Beef on Weck is a must have when visiting!

I would also suggest Pizza from Buffalo. Bocce Club in Buffalo, or LaHaceinda in Niagara Falls.
  • cnym
  • 03-09-2010, 05:26 AM
I misread your post.

You ought to be able to find some good Italian and of course, some Greek. Originally Posted by NormalBob
Wow, I like Italian and Greek mixed with some French
Do you know if there are any in Syracuse?
Wow, I like Italian and Greek mixed with some French
Do you know if there are any in Syracuse? Originally Posted by cnym
PM sent
Garbage plate at Nick Tahou's or Steve T's in Rochester. Originally Posted by youngatheart
It is to bad you can not go into Nick Tahou's at 2 am anymore. From car go to door of nick's, get hit up by a street walker. In line for food, Get ask if you need drugs. Sit next to a cop as you eat. As a girl from one of the many local college's trys to tell you she is a working girl. You and cop are LOL, for a real working girl outside making fun of the college girl from other side of window behind her.
The place still draws customers from all backgrounds of life.

Steve T's (nephew of nick RIP)24/7
At 2 am Watch the teen age boy act like men. But really acting like something that belongs in the zoo.

I wish nick's son would go back to the 24/7 format(closed at 8pm now). Rochester has many great hambger/hotdog stands. And I would do a white hot at anyone. A pair of white hots on top of a Garbage plate at Nick Tahou's is one of the best. But I miss the free floor show.

If you want to try some wings that are not buffalo style. CountrySweet Hot/med/mild and very sweet and sticky.
Ok, I have to ask. WHAT is a WECK ? Or more specifically, Beef on a weck?

I am REAL BRIGHT and can figure out the Wings ( Buffalo or otherwise).

And a "pair of White hots" ?

And , naturally, a " garbage plate"??

Down here we have "trash" which is shrimp and a shredded, spiced crab meat.

LOTS of "language" differences. I guess my poor brain is just " chicken fried!"

LT
THANKS! That wsa interesting, and the recipe for the kummelweck rolls does not look terribly difficult to make. THAT might be an interesting thing to try. Especially since my chances of getting up that way are slim to none!

I learned something today!!

Foodie threads are something we used to do quite often. I guess some of us are more inclined to cook and experiment than others.

LT
Here in Buffalo, we have another form of WECK as well...

http://www.weck1230.com/