Has anyone been to any of these restaurants?

Yes.1,2,3,5,7,9,10. All very good recommendations. There are others left off the list that are as good, but these have maintained high standard as they have been overrun with tourists.

What we really need is a list of the real hole in the wall treasures that haven't been broadcast to the masses yet.
I have two personal favorites Mexican restaurants:

1. Dos Charros - Richardson, TX - http://doscharrostexmex.com/menu-5/
2. Chitos - Plano, TX - http://www.chitosmexicanrestaurant.com/

Both are local hole-in-the-walls (with high aspirations).
14, 10, 7, 6, 4, 3, 2, and 1.

They are fine, and better than most. But they're not mind blowing good or anything. But I'm not that big a fan of Mexican food. I've never been really blown away by a Mexican restaurant. Of the bunch, I'd say Hugo's in Houston is the best of the bunch.
L&J El Paso. Love that place
Esperanza's in Fort Worth....it is related to Joe T Garcia's and near it. It has a Mexican bakery attached. Great food..."cash only". It get busy, open for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Just Joe T Garcias, and I thought it sucked.
Just Joe T Garcias, and I thought it sucked. Originally Posted by Smokin
It's almost like a period piece. It's a great representation of what Tex-Mex food was in Texas from the post WWII period until somewhere in the mid 1980's to maybe the mid 1990's. Nothing fancy. Basic and sturdy. And the most exotic ingredients were pickled jalapenos. Hell, when I was growing up, you had to drive 60 miles to even find a El Chico's. And that was one hell of an exotic place to eat. I remember when an El Chico's first came to Tyler in the early 1960;s folks thought that was big time, big city stuff. Once a year special dinner, etc. Joe T's was kind of the king of that era of Mexican food in Texas. If you went to Ft. Worth and at at Joe T's, you'd have people back home talking about it for a month.
  • harry
  • 02-09-2016, 09:46 PM
I've been to Mi Tierra, Joe T. Garcias and Hugo's. I agree with TTH that Hugo's in Houston is probably the best of all. It certainly is the most upscale. Joe T's is as TTH mentioned an old school TexMex joint with a very limited menu but as long as you like cheese enchiladas or fajitas you're good. Mi Tierra is fun with a Mexican panaderia (bakery) and a huge menu. It's been a long time since I've been but I really liked the chicken mole enchiladas at Mi Tierra.
Nom! I was looking for restaurant suggestions the last time I visited Texas. At least a few of these are going on my to try list for the next time around.
Joe T's in Ft worth is over rated IMO. Herrera's in Dallas is just ok.
  • Iam45
  • 02-10-2016, 07:01 AM
Try Frankie's in Richardson
It's almost like a period piece. It's a great representation of what Tex-Mex food was in Texas from the post WWII period until somewhere in the mid 1980's to maybe the mid 1990's. Nothing fancy. Basic and sturdy. And the most exotic ingredients were pickled jalapenos. Hell, when I was growing up, you had to drive 60 miles to even find a El Chico's. And that was one hell of an exotic place to eat. I remember when an El Chico's first came to Tyler in the early 1960;s folks thought that was big time, big city stuff. Once a year special dinner, etc. Joe T's was kind of the king of that era of Mexican food in Texas. If you went to Ft. Worth and at at Joe T's, you'd have people back home talking about it for a month. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
That's awesome. Sometimes I guess we tend to forget how many choices we have these days. Thanks for putting in that perspective.
L&J El Paso. Love that place Originally Posted by Boltfan

Thanks, go to ELP often and will check out. Ever done Forti's? very good mole.
Have not. But I do enjoy Red Parrot ;-)

Carlos and Mickeys is also very good, usually with some good entertainment.