Best Steak House in Dallas area?

I have a really important dinner coming up with some colleagues...

I want to book a good restaurant in the Dallas area....that would be great to host a dinner at for people coming in from out of town...prefer non-chain Dallas based locals..

Any suggestions? p.s. prefer mid to upscale...thanks
You may want to try doing a search. I believe we've covered this once or twice before. Good luck.
  • Iam45
  • 02-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Capital Grille?
and eaten at damn near all of them.

And for what you want I would suggest

Pappas steak house off northwest and 35/

Part of the Poppadeaux owmership.

Exceptional wait staff, food and overall care.

Not cheap
+1 on Pappas steak house

Old Hickory in the Gaylord Texan is very nice as well.
Nick and Sam's in uptown
Nick and Sam's in uptown Originally Posted by Papa Noel

Ocean Prime and Al Biernat are good as well
Pappas!
Also vote Pappas
Bob's steak and chop house is excellent.
Your post doesn't mention steak, but the title of the thread does. So I'll presume you want to limit your choices to steak. For what it's worth, if I were being wined and dined, a steak house would be my LAST choice. I'd rather eat where there are a variety of dishes to order with more creativity in preparation. Plus, I think vegetarians, vegans, pescatarians, etc. -- and there are so many there days -- generally have better luck and non-meat centric restaurants. But unless you suggest an openness to other places, steak it is.

Pappas Brothers has been mentioned and the food is good, but not spectacular. Atmosphere is a bit too "clubby and masculine" for my tastes. A VERY underrated wine list that is probably the very best in town. Service is a bit too broish for my tastes. "Hi, I'm Jason. I"ll be your waiter tonight . . . ." I'd prefer a bit more casual, yet still processional, with a bit of distance. But it's par for the course for a steak place. The big downside is that it's way the fuck out north. Not quite north of 635, but if your folks are downtown, it's a schlep. I never have reason to be that far out, and I doubt any normal business traveler would be anywhere close to it.

Nick and Sam's. Food is comparable to Pappas. I prefer the atmosphere and service slightly. Seems a but more polished, thought it still screams steak house (which can be bad or good depending on what you like). It's very close to where business travelers are likely to be staying. Wine list, as best I recall since I haven't been in about four years, is fair for a steak house. Very California centric. Very mainstream producers with a good number of super premium cabs. But don't expect to see lots of smaller atrisinal producers on the list. That's just not their forte.

A third option would be Al Biernat's. Also close to most business areas, thought slightly further north (on Oaklawn, just past Oaklawn and Lemon). Very much a Highland Park hangout, but it deserves better than being regarded just as the HP club house. Very good service, and a bit more to my taste. Food is at least as good as Pappas, maybe slightly better. They have a lovely porterhouse for two. It may be a bit more expensive, but not a whole lot. All of the restaurants we're talking about are pretty high priced. Wine list is not as good as Pappas, but better than Nick and Sam's. Still fairly California centric, but with a bit more variety, especially in Bordeaux and to a lesser degree Italy. If you're going to spring for a very special bottle, the mark ups at the top end of the list -- $250 and up -- are really pretty reasonable (or maybe less outrageous) compared to a few other lists, thought not Pappas, which has fair ("fair" being in context) markups on bottles $150 and up.

If your crowd is into testosterone and cigars, Pappas. A bit more urban sizzle, Nick and Sam's. Move the sizzle down a notch and trend toward a more quiet, understated sense of well being and prosperity -- Al Biernat's.
I have a hard time believe pappas steakhouse is any good after eating their shitty bbq and texmex. Not going to try it ether.
^^^ Thank you very much for that intel!...really appreciate it. I am definitely a wine connoisseur and cigar aficionado...so your feedback is appreciated.

Also..thanks everyone else for replying as well...
And the winner is........Al's.........thank me later. I won't bore you with the details.
Nick & Sam's...

For something different, try Table 13 in Addison... It is a vintage, Rat Pack kind of place - classic cocktails, good steaks and music (crooners) every night...