Legalization in 2018

So, uh, hypothetically if someone on the ground was interested in doing a bit of organizing, campaigning, and lobbying in order to legalize sex work in the state of Arkansas with an eye to the 2018 elections would there be any interest in getting involved directly or indirectly by the fine folks here?
In the Bible Belt? .... good luck with that they makw the strippers wear titty tape these people out here are not goin for that
In the Bible Belt? .... good luck with that they makw the strippers wear titty tape these people out here are not goin for that Originally Posted by ACharmXo
Lmao
In the Bible Belt? .... good luck with that they makw the strippers wear titty tape these people out here are not goin for that Originally Posted by ACharmXo
I believe that it could work, but the coalition would have to cut across party lines. We'd have to get the Libertarian Right to vote yes along with the Left and anyone moderate that we can win over. In theory that's very doable for, uh, someone who has connections on both sides of the political spectrum, but it means that we have to get involved identifying and pruning opposition in Congress in 2018 then lobbying immediately afterwards to get a bill passed. It can be done though.
You are Staff Edit delusional.
You are Staff Edit delusional. Originally Posted by watchoutthegameisrigged
I think that the idea that nothing ever changes is delusional. It's just a question of being willing to play the political game better than the people who refuse to see reason.
You obviously have zero idea about the battleground you are playing on.
You obviously have zero idea about the battleground you are playing on. Originally Posted by watchoutthegameisrigged
You are free to believe as you like, but if you have some sort of relevant expertise your assistance would be welcome though.
Yeah, I'll jump right in and make myself public on this. Use my real identity and everything. I don't think that watchoutthegameisrigged will cut much ice with the legislators so I'm all all in. Where do I sign up for this lost cause? Did you just move here yesterday from Nevada?
Yeah, I'll jump right in and make myself public on this. Use my real identity and everything. I don't think that watchoutthegameisrigged will cut much ice with the legislators so I'm all all in. Where do I sign up for this lost cause? Did you just move here yesterday from Nevada? Originally Posted by watchoutthegameisrigged
Actually I figured we'd work behind the scenes using a Third Party PAC until we've built the legislative coalition while we measure and shape public opinion on how the issue is being framed. I'm not anticipating overnight success, it's probably going to only start to come together in the next election cycle but it will give us a roadmap on how to proceed.
Take your 3 day old join date and 4 posts and lead the way. I'm sure the rest of us will fall right in behind. Not only do you not understand the battleground, you also don't understand the playground. Wishing you much success but you blew any credibility you might have here in your first post. I'm done troll.
Take your 3 day old join date and 4 posts and lead the way. I'm sure the rest of us will fall right in behind. Not only do you not understand the battleground, you also don't understand the playground. Wishing you much success but you blew any credibility you might have here in your first post. I'm done troll. Originally Posted by watchoutthegameisrigged
Well I'll certainly take the good wishes at least.
Nevada is what legalization looks like - and it looks like regulation. I've seen it firsthand. Bye bye BBBJ, DATY only permitted with dental dams, providers relegated to brothels where they can work and NOWHERE else (typically not allowed to leave the brothel either without getting re-tested before coming back to work), no discussion of prices outside providers private rooms in the brothels driving rates sky high due to no price transparency (which might sound great to providers on the surface but there would be way less potential clients who could afford it to go around for everyone). Yeah, sounds like hobby utopia.

Maybe OP is aware of this. Maybe not. But it is naive to think that even if legalization was remotely possible here in the bible belt (when the most permissive areas of the country don't even have it) that the government would let it happen without exerting that kind of control and probably more. It would not be like it is now, except legal. Not even close.

That's why most of the prominent pro-sex worker voices (e.g. Maggie Mcneill - https://maggiemcneill.wordpress.com/) don't advocate for legalization, merely for decriminalization.

I think troll sounds about right here, although a novel one, trolling under the guise of something purportedly positive.
Nevada is what legalization looks like - and it looks like regulation. I've seen it firsthand. Bye bye BBBJ, DATY only permitted with dental dams, providers relegated to brothels where they can work and NOWHERE else (typically not allowed to leave the brothel either without getting re-tested before coming back to work), no discussion of prices outside providers private rooms in the brothels driving rates sky high due to no price transparency (which might sound great to providers on the surface but there would be way less potential clients who could afford it to go around for everyone). Yeah, sounds like hobby utopia.

Maybe OP is aware of this. Maybe not. But it is naive to think that even if legalization was remotely possible here in the bible belt (when the most permissive areas of the country don't even have it) that the government would let it happen without exerting that kind of control and probably more. It would not be like it is now, except legal. Not even close.

That's why most of the prominent pro-sex worker voices (e.g. Maggie Mcneill - https://maggiemcneill.wordpress.com/) don't advocate for legalization, merely for decriminalization.

I think troll sounds about right here, although a novel one, trolling under the guise of something purportedly positive. Originally Posted by SpankyJ
I would certainly agree that tightly regulated brothels is not a good alternative, and that decriminalization is the more likely outcome reachable. What that also does is allow more open, at least financially and on paper, organization in favor of it. I would like to think that between current models of decriminalization and soul crushing regulation that mostly favors brothel licensees that we can find a happy middle ground.

I have previously read accounts of decriminalization being little different than things are now, save that harassment has a different pretext. Landlords, roommates, and significant others are accosted with accusations of brothel keeping or trafficking and police supposedly camp outside of the locations of sex workers and arrest anyone entering the location on suspicion of trying to procure their services. I strongly suspect that it won't take long for something similar to begin occurring under a decriminalized model here in Arkansas. That said, perhaps the best solution is decriminalization first to allow freedom of organization, then once organization is on the table a less regulated version of legalization could be pursued.

Digging into the link now, I thank you for it.
Organizing, campaigning, lobbying all sound great. Decriminalization instead of legalization - beautiful. But where's the money going to come from? If you don't have some major dollar signs flashing around along with some blank checks stuffing some serious pockets, then forget it. Then factor in the Bible Belt point - not enough money in the world, and that's all that matters.