hobby phone

I'm sure this has been covered but it's always good to review useful info....
What is the disadvantage of adding a line to your existing set of phones vs getting a netphone or similar?
Part 2: any recommendations for a hobby phone provider?
One major disadvantage of adding an extra line is the wife/girlfriend, SO will begin to wonder why there is another line and who all these contacts are. You best bet is to get a pay as you go phone. Add minutes when you need them, and keep it off and hidden when your not hobbying. This way no extra drama of your wife/girlfriend/SO calling up providers adding extra drama that is unneeded or wanted.
  • cnym
  • 09-16-2010, 04:27 PM
Get a TracFone from Wallmart and prepay as you need it. Do Not, I Repeat, DO NOT add a line to an existing phone. You can activivate the TracFone annonimously
  • Laker
  • 09-17-2010, 05:09 AM
Get a TracFone from Wallmart and prepay as you need it. Do Not, I Repeat, DO NOT add a line to an existing phone. You can activivate the TracFone annonimously Originally Posted by cnym

cnym, Well stated! They work great and even I can operate it!
  • Chloe
  • 09-17-2010, 04:40 PM
yep let's pm this shit . . . I'm just sayin!!,,,,,,,,NOT SMART!!!!
Anyone have any experience using google voice for this purpose? Its a separate number that forwards to your phone... not sure if it would work or not.
Gvoice works pretty well if you have a phone that supports it... In my case I have about 3000 work contacts so 10-20 provider telephone numbers mixed in is nothing (who is going to call 3000 work people) And you don't have to have another phone.. Nor does it cost anything..
  • Niktu
  • 09-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Anyone have any experience using google voice for this purpose? Its a separate number that forwards to your phone... not sure if it would work or not. Originally Posted by Jakesteed
I think Tbone uses Gvoice. Steve likes it, so it may be popular. I would never use it for hobby purposes. As you said, it forwards to your phone. I like to maintain a firewall.

For a good but umpteenth discussion check Security Form http://www.eccie.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4
pull down menu in upper right corner (Thanks again Perry) search for "phone". Several discussions to give you ideas.
I've been using GVoice since they have been offering it. GVoice works great and is free for the rest of this year with your Gmail account. In fact GVoice works better than Skype which I also use. Both are great for hobby phones.
I use Google voice and if I get a call at unwanted time I don't answer, it keeps them from your real number, they see your GV number. Works perfect on iPhone as i have it in bookmarks.