Bull red season right around the corner

I was just curious if any of the members, men or ladies, are fans of fighting a huge bull red. I usually go to the piers in Galveston or Freeport jetties and hope to see the surf rod with the huge bend that usually indicates a 36" or larger fish. Bull reds usually run around September through November. I also like catching sharks, people love to watch a shark getting caught.

Here is a video that indicates what I'm talking about, but it's a black drum not a red drum (redfish or bull red).

No, it's not me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ER1D...eature=related
I was just curious if any of the members, men or ladies, are fans of fighting a huge bull red. I usually go to the piers in Galveston or Freeport jetties and hope to see the surf rod with the huge bend that usually indicates a 36" or larger fish. Bull reds usually run around September through November. I also like catching sharks, people love to watch a shark getting caught.

Here is a video that indicates what I'm talking about, but it's a black drum not a red drum (redfish or bull red).

No, it's not me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ER1D...eature=related Originally Posted by DEAR_JOHN
I take my boat out every weekend that I can ..... and hunt the fuckers, 20lbs, to me is a little one.........
Yep You are correct...... it is going to be ON! in the next month.

I fish with light tackle, 15lb line for 20 lb plus Reds, makes it a hoot....

Good luck man!
I used to couldn't wait fall to come and for bull red season to start back when the San Luis Pass fishing pier was still standing! I had some epic battles off of that pier over the years and I miss it like crazy. It kills me that they weren't allowed to rebuild it again. I used to gather a bunch of my friends (all providers as well) and head to the Pass to fish and party all night and watch the sun come up in the morning. There was one really cold, windy night in late October that I took a group of 6 ladies out to the pier and each one of the ladies caught and landed their own big red ranging from 39-48 inches. We had a blast that night!! God I miss those days.
  • Seedy
  • 08-30-2012, 01:40 AM
DJ, a man after my own heart. The only thing I like better than fishing for redfish, is being with a beautifull Thai lady..... for your info, the redfish run has started, always does last week of august for about 7 to 10 days, then backs off till mid to late september, unless we have stormy weather. "Keeper", or "slot" reds are some HOT action right now in the surf. My dick gets hard fighting a redfish on light tackle.....LMFAO.... talking about shark action, and this is NO BULLSHIT, an 11 foot hammerhead, 8 foot plus Tiger and quite a few big 150 lb plus bull sharks , have been caught and landed OFF THE BEACH near the pass. A 14 foot tiger was spotted in cold pass, on the freeport side of san luis pass. I know of a number of guys that have been "spooled on 12/0, and 14/0 reels. For those that don't know what I am talking about those are reels capable of holding up to a mile of line. And most of them were using 15 to 25 lb stingrays for bait....
As soon as the water is right, I am going.
I have acce3ss to a boat and Lqabor Day is the start for me.
  • linux
  • 08-30-2012, 09:14 AM
I'll sometimes take the boat out to the north Jetty if I have some newer tourist fisherman that just want to catch a really big bull red or shark. Is fun. But they're really not good for the table so ehhh...

Starting in October I'll be tearing up the flounder.
Getting that time again. Skipping this weekend, but will be making some surf yak trips for a little Texas Sleigh Ride action. Haven't been able to get out all summer.
Getting that time again. Skipping this weekend, but will be making some surf yak trips for a little Texas Sleigh Ride action. Haven't been able to get out all summer. Originally Posted by Peanut_7042
Do the tarpon still mill around off San Luis Pass from time to time? It's been a decade or three since my last attempts at tarpon fishing from a kayak there...had some thrillin' hookups, but the only thing I ever actually got all the way to the kayak was a damn ol' shark which I thought might haul my dumbass to Merida.

The busiest I ever been may have been when I was trying to cope with a tarpon and the dang kayak, in the swells, all at the same time. Makes me tired now just thinking about it.
Yeah the tarpon are still around "tarpon alley".

Watch the new regulations on the flounder. I think last yearr they put a different limit on flounder during the "normal" flounder run. Much less than the normal limit.
  • linux
  • 08-31-2012, 08:47 AM
Yeah. 2 a day during November. 5 otherwise.

I try to get six or seven people on my boat in late October and December. 30+ flounder is still a lot.
  • Seedy
  • 08-31-2012, 09:53 AM
A last night update.... went fishing last night after work off the beach around the 8 mile road area, cut mullet and shad, 2 hours 3 bull reds, 3 slot reds. They are there folks, right on the beach first and second guts, right up close and personal....
Damn Seedy that is SWEET! After Labor Day weekend when calm next week sounds like fun! 20 years ago loved to wade the backside from Cold Pass to San L or on the edge of Bastrop/Xmas Bay. Know what is being said about the sharks as had a full stringer of Reds and Specs pulling me to deep water before could get it lose. About a 6 ft Bull Shark was much more hungry than I was. Hope the storm did not "F" up Terrabone Bay as the best Bull Red fishing I have every done!