Garbage Plate Revisited (The first time for me)

Okay, I'm no longer a garbage plate virgin! LOL On a visit to Rochester to visit a very fine UTR lady - I figured I had time to stop by Nick Tahous for lunch(after my appt. thankfully) Maybe the expectations were too high or my combination of choices- Red hots over beans & mac salad with the works - I thought it was kind of bland. A search turned up some Frank's hot sauce & salt & pepper which helped quite a bit. Maybe I'm spoiled by Buffalo Texas Hots re: Nicks, Seneca Towne etc.. So I'll continue my visits to Rochester but not for a garbage plate! If I'm going to throw my diet out the window, it really has to be worth it! But one more thing off my TDL!

original thread: http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?...=garbage+plate
As the poster of the original thread (but someone who has never tried the garbage plate), I feel somewhat guilty about your gastronomical experience. I hope the hobbying experience more than made up for it.

The only place in Rochester that I routinely stopped by for a bite is KC Tea and Noodles on Goodman Ave.
Jack - I'm not blaming anyone and yes my primary reason for visiting Rochester was quite enjoyable!
you have to have the white hots to get Zweigles hots at nicks. steves it still Zweigles for red and white.
As the poster of the original thread (but someone who has never tried the garbage plate), I feel somewhat guilty about your gastronomical experience. I hope the hobbying experience more than made up for it.

The only place in Rochester that I routinely stopped by for a bite is KC Tea and Noodles on Goodman Ave. Originally Posted by jackfengshui

you may like ming noodle on clinton, or new ming on monroe. their menu is online...
  • oklib
  • 05-06-2010, 04:29 PM
You need a red hot plate with mac,and home fries,
extra heavy on the hot sauce,and light onion.
Dip the bread in sauce almost as good as
some of the providers it will get you ready
for ACTION
As much as Nicks is the original, etc..... I do not like their plates. Its good for a 1st time experience to go with the original, but there are about 10 places in town I'd rather get a plate from. When I lived in Gates, I never went to Nicks on Lyell (it was still Nicks at the time). Instead, I'd go over to Wimpy's on Buffalo Road. In my opinion, best plate on the west side. Everything is made FRESH. You order burgers, the cook them while you wait. Fries, same thing.

So to Perryay, try someplace else before you throw plates out of your repertoire of eats.

Glad you had a good time with your UTR though......
The plates are better almost ANYWHERE else besides Nick's or Steve's. The hotsauce is just grease and boiled meat, they just don't season it at all!
try empire hots themtrue home of the garbage plate the owner used to own nicks
also try Marks or Gitsis on monroe.. Aside from Nicks they have been around the longest and are much better in my opinion.
goooooood
  • jon27
  • 05-17-2010, 06:17 PM
Schaller's plates are pretty good.
The plates are better almost ANYWHERE else besides Nick's or Steve's. The hotsauce is just grease and boiled meat, they just don't season it at all! Originally Posted by irpatio
I have to disagree with you here. I really prefer Steve's plates over the others I have tried. But the ingredient list on the jars they sell over the counter does scare me a little. It's not often that you can find any product that proudly lists "Lard" as an ingredient anymore
Hay some of my favorite parts are "lard"(or is that silicone). Opps sorry this is a food thread.
Hahahahaha :-)